LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2007, 01:30 AM   #106
heatheriac
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSe 10.1 (64 for desktop, 32 for laptop)

Rep: Reputation: 0
new kernel crashed xine ...

Has anyone else seen this problem? After SuSE 10.2 came out I got a bunch on updates done through ZEN and YAST, which included an update to the Xine engine. I didn't think to look at where they were coming from at the time, and I still don't know if it was the Novell version or something from Packman/Guru. So I tried removing it and going back to reinstall like I did the first time, using the faq's here. No such luck, and the engine is broke again with the same errors I had when I first started this. Any ideas?

Old 02-12-2007, 04:25 AM   #107
reddazz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 77
Download libxine from a packman mirror and then install it using the rpm command e.g.
Code:
#rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force libxine-*.rpm
Using --nodeps and --force enables rpm to overwrite the Suse xine-lib rpm.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:48 AM   #108
jamasoo

Rep: Reputation: 16
Hi everybody !

I recently installed the suse 9.2, i know it's out of date, but i decided to give it a try and like it very much, (i already tried slackware, rdht, mdk, debian, and basically every distro i can).
I want to ask you what should one do in such a case, Yast as far as i know took care of security updates and everything works fine without gnome, but i can't play dvd and this thread is probably it. Can you help ?

thanks in advance

Old 02-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #109
reddazz
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Personally I think its better for you to install openSUSE 10.2 because Suse 9.2 reached its end of life a while ago. Anyway follow the instructions in this thread. I wrote it for openSUSE 10.2 but it should work on Suse 9.2.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #110
jamasoo

thanks for the tip

Old 02-14-2007, 06:33 AM   #111
jamasoo

thanks a lot for the tip, it really helped, but again maybe i should change to newer version.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #112
binoykr
LQ Newbie

Smile MPlayer seems to be good enough

Hi,

I think its MPlayer is good enough to decode most of the video formats if you install essantial codec pack. If you have the MPlayer source code, Essential codecs pack it will satisfy all your multimedia needs.

http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dlo...#binary_codecs

-Binoy

Old 02-16-2007, 04:09 AM   #113
reddazz
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by binoykr
Hi,

I think its MPlayer is good enough to decode most of the video formats if you install essantial codec pack. If you have the MPlayer source code, Essential codecs pack it will satisfy all your multimedia needs.

http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dlo...#binary_codecs

-Binoy
Its pretty good. The reason why I personally don't use it is because the UI does not fit well with KDE and xine engine is used in a lot of KDE apps like Kaffeine and Amarok.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #114
epsilon72

Rep: Reputation: 17
Smart package manager installs fine but does not run?
It just never starts the program!

And of course, YAST says everything is up to date with xine, but the totem player can play pretty much nothing.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #115
epsilon72

Rep: Reputation: 17
Nevermind....managed to do it through YAST.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:00 AM   #116
Gryyphyn

Distribution: OpenSuSE 10.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question xine codec config (pointer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogstr
When i hit the go button. It complains about not being able to import 'keys' from subkeys.pgp.net
Then stops. Nothing gets installed or uninstalled, and it times out.
Cheers Greg
Sounds like it may be a problem with your sys not accepting the key. If you've declined the key at some point then it won't allow it (at least not as far as I know). There should be a way to unset key decline but I'm not sure how to do it (or if that's really the case )

I have a further Q on this topic. I'm using OpenSuSE 10.2. Normally I'd take the MPlayer codec pack and drop it in /var/lib/codecs (just the codecs, not the folder) but I don't have the folder. Should I create the folder and point xine at it or drop it in the RP codec folder as was suggested previously and point xine there?

Thanks in advance.

Gryyphyn

Old 05-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #117
blackout8
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Suse 10.1

thanks this is a great post, I had asked this question in other forums and had gotten no where.. this is informative from where to get to how to install and configure. the package manager is a nice little tool to have as well. Much thanks to those who put the time and effort into these packages and such..
<reddazz> thanks again this is great compilation of info and resources will read your posts in the future before asking.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #118
bailey239

Distribution: suse 10.2

I am having the same problem as Xthar was having and taking the advise of reddazz i downloaded the "rpm-python" from the link provided but i believe i am having a problem installing it? i put the file on my desktop and click it a window pops and gives me a option to install using YAST so i click there and it ask's me for "20070711-210658 cd 2" ?? i've skiped that step and it looks like it installed but i go to terminal to type this code "#rpm -Uvh /tmp/smart*.rpm" and i still get the same error i was getting in the first place???

Old 07-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #119
reddazz
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Try installing the package using the rpm command. That way you can be sure that its installed and if there are any problems, error messages will be printed on the screen and these messages can then be used to fix the problem.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #120
bailey239

Distribution: suse 10.2

I realized i was reading the wrong forum i am currently using suse 10.2, so i will read the thread for that one sorry...

Tags
audio, boot, codec, design, distribution, distro, distros, linux, mandriva, mplayer, totem, voice, website, wma, wmv, xine