LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
drkstr

Distribution: Slackware 11.0

Rep: Reputation: 45
fluxbox - which "background setting" app has the least bulk?

I'm trying to use fbsetbg to set the background in fluxbox. Apparently all it does is use a helper app to set the image. Fluxbox recommends Eterm (for some weird reason) but I didn't see a Slackware package for this. I looked into building my own package but it requires a bunch of dependencies (also not included in Slackware). Install size is a big issue and I don't have a lot of extra space to work with. Which fbsetbg helper app uses the least amount of install space (including extra dependencies not included for fluxbox or X11).

Thanks for the help!
...drkstr

Old 08-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
gbonvehi

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 53
From: http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Ho...the_background
Quote:
Fbsetbg can use following wallpapersetters of which ONLY feh, esetroot and wmsetbg support pseudo transparency:

Esetroot
wmsetbg
feh
hsetroot
chbg
display
qiv
xv
xsri
xli
xsetbg

The order is best first, worst last. So to make everything work fine, you should install something from the top of the list. Most people on #fluxbox would suggest you to install Feh as it is small and very efficient, but Esetroot (comes with Eterm) is also a good choice.
I've used qiv to watch pictures, it's a very small and nice program. I've a SlackBuild and a package in my hdd if you want it. Same for Eterm, AFAIK it didn't have so many dependencies.
feh seems to be a nice alternative too http://linuxbrit.co.uk/feh/ and as the wiki says, it allows you to use pseudo transparency.
display comes with ImageMagik if my memory doesn't fail, it's installed with a full Slackware install.

Last edited by gbonvehi; 08-08-2006 at 01:05 AM.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:52 AM   #3
drkstr

Original Poster
Quote:
I've used qiv to watch pictures, it's a very small and nice program. I've a SlackBuild and a package in my hdd if you want it. Same for Eterm, AFAIK it didn't have so many dependencies.
Thanks for the offer. I admit, there arn't a ton of dependencies, but I ended up having to build and install 3 extra packages to run a program that I am only using 1 feature out of. I don't need any extra features, just a jpg full screen background. Can any of the programs you listed do this with a single binary? If not, I will probably give xv a shot since it comes with Slackware.

Thanks for the help!
...drkstr

Old 08-08-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
mokele

Distribution: Slackware 13

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hi drkstr.

I think you already have it solved. But, I read
somewhere that if you install WindowMaker along
with Fluxbox fbsetbg starts working perfect. I mean
don't take my words for granted. But as long
as I can remember after I installed back WindwMaker
the only other setting I made was to add:

fbsetbg -f /home/west/img/slackwarelinux.png

To the: session.screen0.rootCommand:
parameter on .fluxbox/init

-Regards

-W

Old 08-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
gbonvehi

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 53
Mmm, i've only used Esetroot, qiv and display from the list. qiv and Esetroot depend on imlib which is included with Slackware. It seems feh depends on the same library, maybe you want to link the library statically.

Edit: qiv also depends on gdk, so probably you want to use feh.

Last edited by gbonvehi; 08-08-2006 at 11:27 AM.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
drkstr

Original Poster
Quote:
Mmm, i've only used Esetroot, qiv and display from the list. qiv and Esetroot depend on imlib which is included with Slackware. It seems feh depends on the same library, maybe you want to link the library statically.

Edit: qiv also depends on gdk, so probably you want to use feh.
Thanks for the info. I know imlib is included, but I don't have it installed. I am trying to get the install down to the point where I have *only* what I need to and nothing else. I am allready over my size limit of 256MB, so at this point, anything extra is to much

When I get home, I'm going to go though them and run ldd on each of the binaries to see if any of them use libraries I allerady included for something else. Then I can figure out what I can do away with from there.

Thanks for everyone's help!
...drkstr

Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
Randux

Distribution: Slackware & Slamd64. What else is there?

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkstr
I'm trying to use fbsetbg to set the background in fluxbox. Apparently all it does is use a helper app to set the image. Fluxbox recommends Eterm (for some weird reason) but I didn't see a Slackware package for this. I looked into building my own package but it requires a bunch of dependencies (also not included in Slackware). Install size is a big issue and I don't have a lot of extra space to work with. Which fbsetbg helper app uses the least amount of install space (including extra dependencies not included for fluxbox or X11).

Thanks for the help!
...drkstr
You can make flux do this by himself by setting a value in /.fluxbox/lastwallpaper. I don't know what he uses internally. You can also use bsetbg, it's 12K

Old 08-08-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
drkstr

Original Poster
Thanks Randux! That's exactly what I needed. I'll give it a try.

...drkstr