LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
toes

Distribution: Mandy 2006, FC5

Rep: Reputation: 30
I broke my routing table

Some weeks ago (ok, I'm a bit slow to fix things) while changing the home network up a bit, I broke my routing table - and maybe some other things. Now, whenever I restart the machine, I have to set up the network adapter again (I use Mandriva's graphical utility), and then I have to add my router back in as the gateway, which I do by the little script below. This is required every time, and the order can't be changed or else no conn.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# temp to start up nic
#
/sbin/route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.2.1 eth0
By the way, Mandy's network setup utility still brings up the correct values, so it hasn't forgotten them. They're just not applying on startup for some reason. I just click through the 'next' and 'ok' buttons and it's good to go.

Any ideas how I've broken this and how to fix it?

Old 07-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
toes

Original Poster
Ok, after some digging, I think I've managed to correct the actual routing problem. I had to edit /etc/sysconfig/network to show the proper gateway device was the installed NIC and not the previous one. I don't know why the GUI wouldn't do that.

There's still the problem of needing to manually set up the network interface each time. An ifconfig right after a fresh boot shows only the loopback device. Entering 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up' reports no device present. The card shows up in the graphical hardware list. After setting up the device through the network GUI wizard, everything operates as it should. Even if I drop to init 1 and then back to 3 or 5, the card is still recognized. Only a reboot kills it.

What's the solution?

*edit... changed filename above. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by toes; 07-15-2006 at 01:59 PM.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
toes

Original Poster
More info.

Card uses tulip module when running properly, but this doesn't show up on lsmod after boot. ndiswrapper was still there from the wireless that I removed, so I commented that out from modprobe.preload and modprobe.conf. Also, I can't insmod tulip, which one site suggested. But tulip does show up in the lsmod list after setting up a new connection through the GUI wizard.