LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
1kyle

Distribution: SLED 10, SUSE 10.3

Rep: Reputation: 32
Network access lost after starting X SUSE 10 - Solved

On a Sony Vaio laptop (Model PCG GRT816S) I had a really WEIRD Network problem (using Wired connections).

The network would start fine from Boot (via DHCP) and network card would start fine -- eth0 would get a valid IP address from the DHCP server.

Machine starts in run level 3 -- no automatic X server start -- I do that deliberately as if there's any problems you can see the console before it's too late.

Could Ping anywhere including internet addresses like www.bbc.co.uk or www.google.co.uk

However once I started X all Network connectivity was lost.

I remembered a really old thread on this suggesting that the SMP kernel be installed.

I did this simply with Yast --ticked Kernel SMP and the SMP-non GPL. After Yast had installed the kernel it told me to re-boot to use the new kernel.

Worked like a treat -- no Internet / network probs.

The processor in the Sony Laptop is a standard (non mobile) Intel 2.8 processor (that's why this laptop has hideously small battery lifetimes) but runs blazingly fast for an older laptop.

Never realized it needed an SMP kernel however --but it fixed the problem.

(I had to bring the Sony out of retirement as the nice lightweight laptop I'd been using - a HP dv1000 wasn't too rugged when being moved a lot and now has a cracked screen). - Always the problem between light and portable or strong, built likr a battleship but weighs like one as well).

Cheers

-K

Old 07-01-2006, 04:09 AM   #2
dannystaple

Distribution: Ubuntu on Desktop

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hmm - what processor has the laptop got? You just said 2.8, but 2.8 what? P3/P4?

Does Hyperthreading need SMP or something?

Its an odd one anyway.

Danny