LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
drlouis

Distribution: slackware 12 on Dell XPS m1710

Rep: Reputation: 15

I looked but didn't see, I assume this requires a 2.6 kernel? I'm still running 2.4, planning on compiling a 2.6, but have been too chicken to try since I dont have time right now to trouble shoot if it goes badly.

Last edited by drlouis; 06-15-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
drkstr

Distribution: Slackware 11.0

Rep: Reputation: 45
DISCUSSION: Bluetooth in Slackware HOWTO

This thread is to discuss the article titled:
Bluetooth in Slackware HOWTO

Last edited by drkstr; 06-20-2006 at 11:28 AM.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
drkstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlouis
I looked but didn't see, I assume this requires a 2.6 kernel? I'm still running 2.4, planning on compiling a 2.6, but have been too chicken to try since I dont have time right now to trouble shoot if it goes badly.
Well I don't have to much experience with the 2.4 kernel since compiling the latest kernel was one of the first few things I did when I started using Linux (per the advice of my friend).

I belive bluez will still work with a 2.4 kernel, but I am not positive. When you build bluez-utils it will build a kernel modules for you if it does not detect one already. You might want to give the 2.6 kernel a try though. You will find it supports hardware much better then the 2.4 kernel.

Let me know if you get it working with 2.4 kernel and if you had to do anything extra, this way I can add it to the tutorial.

thanks!
...drkstr

Old 06-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
_gnomm

Distribution: Slackware

ok i upgraded KDE to 3.5.3 but now i have a problem:

KDEInit could not launch 'noatun'.

anyway...

i downloaded Unsermake and

Quote:
First, get kdebluetooth-1.0_beta1 from here then extract it to your source directory. Then download this patch and save it in the source directory as obexfix-1.1.2.patch
there is a problem with the links i can't download the pathch!! the same is with the other links!!!

Old 06-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
drkstr

Hmmm, it look slike I lost a lot of formatting, and all my links broke, when they copied it over to the Tutorial section. I can not edit the article directly but you can view the updated guide on my website here I just tested all the links, but let me know if any are broken.

Quote:
KDEInit could not launch 'noatun'.
The upgrade seems to have broken the KDE sound system (arts). I haven't figured out why yet, but in the meantime, use a media player that does not depend on arts. I have arts disabled on my system anyways since it's known to be quite buggy and CPU intensive. Try using alsa instead.

regards,
...aaron

**edit**
XMMS is a good media player (one of many) that does not rely on arts. Try using that until I can figure out why arts is broken.

Last edited by drkstr; 06-19-2006 at 02:24 PM.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
drkstr

You will need to upgrade the following packages from slackware-current to use the KDE sound system and any application that depend on them:

a/aaa_elflibs
l/arts
l/audiofile
l/libao
l/libmad
l/libogg
l/libvorbis

Just download them into a folder anr run
Code:
upgradepkg --install-new *.tgz
And it should work okay from theere.

Good catch _gnomm!
...aaron

Old 06-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
_gnomm

Distribution: Slackware

ok, thanx a lot!!!! i'll try it soon!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #8
Laban
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu + CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Go to the CVS repository browser to view a list of modules. We will then need to check out each of the modules except libs2/utils2/obex (I will cover openobex in part II).
Create a directory called bluez-CVS-mm.dd.yy then 'cd' to the directory and run the following commands
Code:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.bluez.org:/cvsroot/bluez login
#< hit enter at the password prompt >
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.bluez.org:/cvsroot/bluez co -P modulename
You will need to repeat the last step for each of the needed modules.
Does that mean that all of the following modules should be downloaded / built?
  • Bluehood
  • bluefw
  • doc
  • firmware
  • gnome
  • hcidump
  • hciemu
  • kernel
  • libs
  • packages
  • pan
  • rfcomm
  • sdp
  • utils
  • utils2

Old 07-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
drkstr

Welcome to LQ!

Quote:
Does that mean that all of the following modules should be downloaded / built?
You can skip libs2/utils2, kernel if you compiled in support yourself, and gnome unless you are using it as a desktop manager. Same goes for packages. However, I would recommend just checking out all the modules and following the build directions to make sure you don't miss anything.

regards,
...aaron

Old 07-07-2006, 03:30 AM   #10
Laban
LQ Newbie

Checked the list, found out that the only usable ones are libs, utils, firmware, hcidump and doc. The rest is empty.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #11
drkstr

empty? I don't think so. Did you go though the repository browser? Not only are they not empty, they are required for certain bluez functionality.

regards,
...aaron

Old 07-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
Laban
LQ Newbie

Yes, I followed the link in this guide to http://bluez.cvs.sourceforge.net/bluez/. Check pan or sdp (for example), they just contain empty subfolders.

I also tried upgrading the slackware packages mentioned and got a message about the dcopserver not being there (I think it was). Downgraded after not that much trying to find the cause (lack of time).

Also tried following links to your own domain (www.drkstr.org), which does not seem to be available.

Anyways, this might all seem like whining, sorry for that. I think it's a great tutorial that you've made!

Old 07-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #13
drkstr

hmm... the repository browser does show empty directories on some of the modules, sorry for the misinformation. I think this might be due to the fact that when checked out, they do not get their own directories, but get added on to the utils directory. Can you give it a test to see if checking out just the utils directory will automaticlly check out the add-on modules as well?

Quote:
Also tried following links to your own domain (www.drkstr.org), which does not seem to be available.
my internet appears to be down
I will have to fix it when I get home. Thanks for letting me know!

Quote:
I also tried upgrading the slackware packages mentioned and got a message about the dcopserver not being there (I think it was). Downgraded after not that much trying to find the cause (lack of time).
Don't know what to tell ya, it worked for me. If you post the exact error message, I might be able to help you more.

regards,
...aaron

Old 08-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #14
nick_slack
LQ Newbie

Hello i am new to linux

i read your tutorial on how to activate bluetooth. I am not able to find the directories from where packages can be created. if you can kindly give me info on how to trace the files required for making slackware packages.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:33 AM   #15
drkstr

Welcome to LQ!

Quote:
i read your tutorial on how to activate bluetooth. I am not able to find the directories from where packages can be created. if you can kindly give me info on how to trace the files required for making slackware packages.
there is a link at the beginning of the guide that explains this in detail. I will post it again for you. Let me know if you are are still having a hard time with it and I will try and point you in the right direction.

regards,
...drkstr

http://www.linuxpackages.net/howto.p...=Package+Howto

Last edited by drkstr; 08-05-2006 at 02:38 AM.

Tags
bluetooth, dbus, hcid