LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
mimithebrain

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04

Rep: Reputation: 30
DISCUSSION: because beeps suck...

This thread is to discuss the article titled:
because beeps suck...

Quote:
Audio You want sound, duh. Sound is cool, sound break the dulliness of your day with dings and pops. Except that if your on linux, sound, well, better hope you have one of those supported cards. Did I mention you might need to compile a kernel? How's your command line? Stupidities to check for Is the side knob turned on? high enough? Is the sound muted? Is "External Amplifier muted? If so, turn the sound knob up, high enough, unmute PCM and master, put them high enough, and turn External Amplifier on. Googling If you know the name of your card, google it! Google the name of your card and add "linux" as the last keyword. If your lucky, you will find it in the first few hits, otherwise, you may go up to the second page. You might want to try Linuxquestion's HCL too. You are looking for the name of the module to load. Possibly, if possible, if there is an already existing "howto make card xyz work on system xyz with distro zyx... use that... otherwise, just pick the name of the module to load and follow with me

Last edited by mimithebrain; 06-16-2006 at 09:00 PM.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
Dralnu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Sounds like some poor ignorant person to me...

Old 06-16-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
mimithebrain

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 30
I'm not sure if you're telling me I'm ignorant or if the theoretical person messing up by making the common mistakes described in my article is a poor ignorant person. I'll assume good faith and that you meant that this theoretical person is ignorant

In any case, these errors do happen. Unfortunatly, not everyone is aware of lsmod, lspci, alsamixer, or aware how to unmute their sound cards. These are basic troubleshooting steps that everyone should know. Since I didn't see this article anywhere, I decided to write it.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
guitronics
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimithebrain View Post
I'm not sure if you're telling me I'm ignorant or if the theoretical person messing up by making the common mistakes described in my article is a poor ignorant person. I'll assume good faith and that you meant that this theoretical person is ignorant

In any case, these errors do happen. Unfortunatly, not everyone is aware of lsmod, lspci, alsamixer, or aware how to unmute their sound cards. These are basic troubleshooting steps that everyone should know. Since I didn't see this article anywhere, I decided to write it.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I thank you, mimithebrain for writing this tutorial. I'm a total NooBie and need as much basic info that I can get.

I find the "High on Intellectualism" posters BORING . Hey, I'm GLAD for you, you know everything, but need others' to reinforce your worth. If you're so smart, why don't you start your own Linux site.Then you can deal with the smart-aleck's.

I am poor in knowledge , and Ignorant to the ways of Linux...but I'm willing to learn, I'm trying to learn; and I don't need somebody calling me names and trying to humiliate me.

Just as everyone had to learn Linux at one time,I am trying to learn.

I thought that's what this forum was all about.