LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
kalimakhus
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
DISCUSSION: Emacs for an IDE (1)

This thread is to discuss the article titled:
Emacs for an IDE (1)

Quote:
Brief Programmers newly making their way into the Linux world especially those who acquired their previous experience by working on Windows, seem to have a hard time figuring out how to start building applications for Linux. One question heard often here and there is "What is the best IDE for Linux?". A rather more specific question would be "Is there anything like MS Visual Studio for Linux?". Well,there are actually a bunch of IDEs for Linux. Best known are KDevelop and Anjuta. However these IDEs tend to be rather intimidating. They are a work in progress in so many aspects and getting one of them to work the way you want might be daunting. On the other hand whoever

Last edited by XavierP; 05-21-2006 at 07:48 AM.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
sogenant
LQ Newbie

Emacs for an IDE - more

Thanks for the pointer to the very cool speedbar, I hadn't seen that.

When you do part 2, you should mention debugging with gdb ("M-x gdb" to get started). Also, for c and java programmers there's a program called "xref" that is very helpful (c anyway is helpful, I can't speak for the java support). They also have a version for c++ which is pay-to-use.

I haven't ever seen tutorial info or learned how to use etags/ctags, I think that's relevant to c programmers too, don't know about c++ or other languages.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
arunj
LQ Newbie

Codeblocks is a very good IDE.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
henry1999sg
LQ Newbie

Smile yes , a good entry article for c development in Linux..

yes , a good entry article for c development in Linux..

Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
hda7

Distribution: Debian wheezy

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogenant View Post
I haven't ever seen tutorial info or learned how to use etags/ctags, I think that's relevant to c programmers too, don't know about c++ or other languages.
Yes, the tags feature is useful for c and a variety of other languages too. See the emacs manual's "Tags" node for more information. Ebrowse is another similar (but more powerful) feature for c++ programs specifically.