LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
Hitboxx

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 68
Question Triple boot - XP/Bordeaux/Dapper

Guys,

Ive started afresh creating partitions and installing stuff. I have two harddisks.
Code:
1) SATA 80 - Windows
2) SATA 80 - Empty (unallocated)
Before i start on the 2nd drive, i want to know the ideal partition structure for FC5 and Ubuntu6_beta2.
Essentially ive planned to use 60gb for FC5/U6_b2 and the remaining 20gb i would like to keep unallocated (i plan to install a different linux later).

My questions are :
Quote:
a) Typically i like 4 partitions on each linux- swap,root,home and usr. Considering 30gb for each linux what size should i set for these partitions?? (i know swap is 256mb)

b) Is it possible to assign a single swap to both of them??

c) Are there any conflicts by having two swaps??

d) Also which should i install first?? I would like FC5 first and U6_b2 later (since i suppose U6_b2 is new and has latest code support)

e) The reason ive zoomed in on FC5 and U6_b2 is im already familiar with FC5 and rpm (so this'll be always there)and i would like to know more about debian universe i.e.,through U6_b2.(its more of a opinion rather than a question)

f) Lastly about the third linux, can you recommend any or ill leave it at that and observe the developments in next 6 months for some flavor of linux.
Forgive me, maybe ive asked a lot but i want to make it stick this time. These partitions will be my constant for eternity.

WARM REGARDS
Thanks

PS: Just in case you are wondering why i botched up a perfectly working system and started afresh, it was more of an experiment in linux. I only started out in March. Now im pretty confident and willing to stick it.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
Penguin of Wonder

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 45
A) /root 5G
/swap 256M
/root 2G
/usr 4G
/home whats left

(I can tell you now, your goina get alot of opinions on this.)

B) Can't say for sure, but I believe so.

C) Shouldn't be. You'll only be using one Linux at a time. Therefore it isn't possiable for them to both try to access it at the same time. Besides, if your only running 256M of swap, you probably have enough ram that you'll never touch it anyway.

D) It dosen't matter.

E) Ubuntu is a nice choice, but my all means not the only. My favorite Debian based distro is Gentoo

F) If I were you, I'd try one that you have no experience with, like the Debian based Ubuntu. Try slackware or an offshoot of that. Try a source based one like Gentoo, it definatly different that the rpm style your used to. Have fun and don't limit yourself. Install one, if you don't like it, install another.