LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
seamalady
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unix or Linux operating system

If you use Microsoft Office on a computer running Windows XP, can you use the same software on a computer running the Unix or Linux operating system?

Old 05-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
tangle

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 78
Only if you dual boot. MS Office will not run on Linux. There is Open Office for Linux. You could try some emulator like Code Weavers that says you can run MS Office on Linux. The only emulator I have tried is Wine and have nothing but trouble with it.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Wim Sturkenboom

Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04, Antix19.3

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
crosspost
Please post the question only in one forum. See LQ rules for a motivation

Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; 05-02-2006 at 10:48 AM. Reason: fixed url

Old 05-05-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
pixellany
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangle
Only if you dual boot. MS Office will not run on Linux. There is Open Office for Linux. You could try some emulator like Code Weavers that says you can run MS Office on Linux. The only emulator I have tried is Wine and have nothing but trouble with it.
CrossOver Office (Codeweavers) is the same thing as WINE--it just has a more friendly front end.

I find running any Windows SW on CrossOver to be problematic. There always seem to be little glitches.

For an Office Suite, I prefer to use OpenOffice. For what I do, it is 90% compatible with MSOffice. Occassionally, I have to export in PDF to ensure that a Windows user will see the file the way it was intended.