LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
djheath
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
FC5 Hangs on startup after successful install

Hey all... thanks for reading.

After UNsuccessfully upgrading from RH9 to FC5, I'm starting fresh but haven't had any luck getting past the

Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting

screen. I've tried installing by changing various options (disabling SCSI & using an IDE drive and vice versa; LVM vs. ext3; MBR vs section 1; etc.) Nothing works. I'm reasonably familiar with the lower level linux stuff but not an expert. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I've disabled all optional modules during install and everything proceeds as normal (or so it appears) but it won't get past the aforementioned screen.

The box is a dual Xeon IBM M-Series, 1GB RAM w/ on-board SCSI.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-28-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
zulfilee

Distribution: Redhat,Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 39
Have u tried to login in single user mode.
Try and see if it works.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
djheath
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
how do I start in single user mode?

Old 04-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Hitboxx

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by djheath
how do I start in single user mode?
1) At the graphical(GRUB) boot screen, press 'e' (for edit), scroll down to select the kernel, and press 'e' again.

2) Press the spacebar, type 'single' or '1' (FC allows 'S' and 's' as well), and press 'Enter'

3) Finally, press 'b' to boot, and you'll boot into Runlevel 1 (single user mode).

Old 04-29-2006, 12:21 AM   #5
djheath
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Cool... so to answer the aforementioned question, no it won't boot up into single user mode... now i get a wonderful:

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

<scratches head> huh. that can't be good. what next?

btw, grub has 2 boot options, one with _smp and the other without. both have the same result.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Hitboxx

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 68
Quote:
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
This has been asked a lot of times in these forums. Please search for it as there could be various reasons for this. Thanks
Quote:
btw, grub has 2 boot options, one with _smp and the other without. both have the same result.
The one with _smp is for multiple processor or hyperthreading machines. The other is default. If you have a HT or multiple processor machine, you can safely remove the other one.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
savageRIS
LQ Newbie

Why does my machine hang on fedora 5 just as it is about to turn to the logon page?

Old 05-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
savageRIS
LQ Newbie

how do i setup samba

Old 08-02-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
Jester_UVa09
LQ Newbie

similar problem

I am having the same problem as djheath. I installed Fedora 5 and everything worked great. I did a yum update and restarted. But when it started up again, it hung at 'Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting'. I tried using grub to boot to single user mode. I edited the line and tried a 1 and a 5. Neither have any effect. The same thing happend, it just hangs. Can anyone help me?

some of the boot screen that hangs...
'
root (hd0,0)
FileSystem Type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 ro root=dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 rhgb quiet
'

also, if I select the other kernel versin under grub (the original kernel installed before the yum upgrade), everything works fine...

Last edited by Jester_UVa09; 08-02-2006 at 08:52 PM.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #10
djheath
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I never was able to get FC 5 to work... had to go to plan B which was RHEL 4 but still had considerable problems and eventually got it resolved. Kind of a bummer (http://www.ellenfeiss.net/commercials.php)

Old 08-13-2006, 01:34 AM   #11
Cartoonite
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Kubuntu

I am having the same (or at least similar) problem as both Jester and djheath.

In case hardware is an issue, I am running FC5 on an Asus A7V333 with an Athlon XP 1800+ CPU, 1GB RAM and two 320GB hard drives running in RAID 0 using the on-board Promise controller. The RAID array has a small (100MB) /boot partition, and the rest is allocated to a single LVM partition that contains 3 logical volumes.

After several unsuccessful attempts to get Ubuntu to install onto the RAID array, I decided to try Fedora, since it includes native support for the controller. I had already partitioned the drives using gparted as a part of the process of trying to get Ubuntu installed (3 primary partitions and an extended partition that contained a single logical partition), so I just reformatted all of the existing partitions rather than repartitioning for the Fedora install. The install went smoothly, and in short order I had a fully functional Fedora system up and running.

Then I made my first mistake. I was extremely tired at this point, having already spent the better part of a day trying to get Ubuntu working, so when I ran pup I just decided to update everything. Several hours later Fedora finally finished downloading all of the updates. Since apparently some of the things I had updated required a system reboot in order to be finalized (including, unbeknownst to me at the time, a kernel upgrade), I rebooted the system to complete the process.

GRUB loaded, auto-started the new kernel after a short delay and then...nothing. I saw the same Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting message that djheath mentioned in his first post, a string of Buffer I/O errors that I assume are caused by the kernel trying to access the array before loading dmraid, and that was it. The system was not frozen; tapping lock toggle keys would turn the appropriate LEDs on and off on the keyboard and I was able to reboot it using the infamous 3-finger salute, but it simply would not continue the boot process.

Thinking I may have hosed the partitioning process when using gparted and that something in the partition table was now causing problems, I decided to start of from scratch. First I rebuilt the array, in case gparted had somehow managed to wreck it. Then I reloaded the DVD and installed FC5 all over again. I also modified my previous partition scheme based on the default one anaconda wanted to use. Rather than use several primary partitions, I used the LVM partition scheme described above.

Again the install went smoothly. This time I paid much closer attention to what was being updated. Anything I didn't think needed updating, I left alone. I passed over the kernel update at first. I updated everything else that needed updating, then made sure that there were no issues getting the box rebooted and back running. Once that was complete I updated the kernel all on its own, to make sure no other updates were conflicting with it.

Once again, after updating the kernel, the box will not boot. I see the exact same thing I saw before. Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting followed by a series of Buffer I/O errors (although different logical blocks are mentioned since the array was rebuilt and the partition scheme changed) and then nothing.

The system boots fine using the kernel from the CD (vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5) but refuses to boot with the new one (vmlinuz-2.61.17-1.2157_FC5).

I don't think the Buffer I/O errors are related, because I see the same errors when booting into the original kernel. When booting to 2.61.15, the next thing I see after the I/O errors is:
Code:
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
3 logical volume(s) in volume group "Volgroup00" now active
INIT: version 2.86
This message does not appear when booting to 2.61.17. The cursor just continues to flash after the I/O error messages.

I disabled the quiet option on 2.61.17 and it shows the following after the I/O errors:
Code:
Creating initial device nodes.
Loading jbd.ko module
Loading ext3.ko module
device-mapper: 4.6.0.ioctl (2006-02-17) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
Loading dm-mirror.ko module
Loading dm-zero.ko module
Loading dm-snapshot.ko module
Making device-mapper control node
Again, after the final line, the boot process just seems to stall.

This is the only problem (so far) with configuring the system that has me completely stumped. There have been a few other hiccups on the road to getting some of the services running the way I want them to, but I've managed to get everything sorted out, save this. If anyone could shed any light on the issue, or even point me in a direction that would help me determine exactly what the issue is, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:34 AM   #12
bolognese
LQ Newbie

That could have been me, who wrote this, except that you seem to have some more Linux experience.

I spent some 4 weeks now getting it running. Especially the kernel upgrade thing. Until there will be a solution I connected my HD to the IDE controller, not the Promise.

A very difficult thing was the Nvidia driver. Now I'm dealing with the c-media sound module.

Any other hints?

Regards.

B.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:44 AM   #13
corefile
LQ Newbie

I have the same problem as Cartoonite... Boots fine on vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 but hangs on the redhat nash part with the vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5.

dang it...

Old 08-16-2006, 01:13 AM   #14
Cartoonite
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Kubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognese
That could have been me, who wrote this, except that you seem to have some more Linux experience.

I spent some 4 weeks now getting it running. Especially the kernel upgrade thing. Until there will be a solution I connected my HD to the IDE controller, not the Promise.
If I'm understanding this, you were experiencing the same no-boot issue after the kernel upgrade, but now that the HDD is connected to one of the IDE controllers the new kernel boots fine, is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corefile
I have the same problem as Cartoonite... Boots fine on vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 but hangs on the redhat nash part with the vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5.
Based on what's been posted so far, it seems that this is a symptom common to people attempting to upgrade the kernel on system booting from a RAID array. Is your system using a RAID array or is(are) the HDD(s) connected to an IDE controller? If RAID, what type of controller is it?

I'm not going to claim I have a solution, or even that I'm close to finding one, but the more information we have regarding the specific nature of the problem, the easier it should be to find one.

Edit: Another thought - has anyone tried upgrading the kernel on a system running 3 or more drives where there is a RAID array present but the system boots off of an IDE drive? Additionally, for bolognese and corefile (if applicable), what type or RAID array are/were you using, RAID1 (mirror) or RAID0 (stripe)?

Last edited by Cartoonite; 08-16-2006 at 01:17 AM.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:31 AM   #15
vtel57

Distribution: Slackware64 - 14.2 w/ Xfce

Rep: Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonite
Edit: Another thought - has anyone tried upgrading the kernel on a system running 3 or more drives where there is a RAID array present but the system boots off of an IDE drive? Additionally, for bolognese and corefile (if applicable), what type or RAID array are/were you using, RAID1 (mirror) or RAID0 (stripe)?
This is precisely the problem I'm having. I used Stanton-Finley's tutorial on installing my nvidia drivers earlier today. That site recommended upgrading to the newest kernel first, so I did that. However, the newest kernel will not boot on my system.

My setup:

/dev/hda1 - common swap
/dev/hda2 - / (root Ubuntu 6.06.1)
/dev/hda3 - / (root Fedora Core 5)
/dev/hda5 - /home (Ubuntu)
/dev/hda6 - /home (Fedora)

/dev/sda1 - Win XP (NTFS)
/dev/sda5 - Storage (FAT32)

I'm using Ubuntu's GRUB. The /dev/sda drive is RAID 0 using Promise FastTrack 376 software drivers w/ onboard RAID controller (MSI)

The older kernel (the one from the install disks) on Fedora boots fine. Coincidentally, or maybe not, I'm also having a strange bootup problem with Ubuntu on cold starts only (after the system has been powered down for a few hours), never on warm reboots though.

I'd like to know what the trouble is with this newer kernel in Fedora.

Regards,

~Eric

EDIT: I've been reading about problem with the 2.6.17... kernel all over the place tonight. There are also numerous bug reports on Redhat's Bugzilla site about this very issue. I guess I'll just use my trusty ol' 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 for now.

Last edited by vtel57; 08-16-2006 at 02:04 AM.

Tags
fedora, kernel, raid