LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Cryptoniks
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Startup Errors with wireless networking Error for wireless request "Set Encode"

Error for wireless request "Set Encode"
Set failed on device wlan0 ; invalid argument (8B2A)

after poking around all night i still havent been able to resolve this issue

this occurs at bootup when trying to initialize my wireless connection

i had another thread that dealt with getting the wireless to be called at boot and that has been resolved hehe dispite any communacation errors between me and the guy that helped me lol

i am assuming thios has to do with my WEP key

the setup:
slackware 10.2
Kernel 2.4.31
ndiswrapper 1.10

i placed my wireless setting in the rc.wireless.conf file

i have double and triple checked my WEP key

apon further reading i have found WEP isnt the best choice for encryption anymore

should i try to go with WPA instead

this will require me to reconfigure my router
and change some things

but the O.C.D in me has a need to get this error resolved before trying somthing different LOL

so at the risk of being redundant

Error for wireless request "Set Encode"
Set failed on device wlan0 ; invalid argument (8B2A)

does anybody know how to resolve this in regards to WEP keys

Old 03-21-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
I've found that using rc.wireless.conf with Slackware doesn't always work with ndiswrapper. Instead of using that, try adding the appropriate commands to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file and see if it works any better.

If you have the choice of WPA or WEP, WPA is definitely the way to go, but it does complicate matters in that you need to use wpa_supplicant in addition to ndiswrapper.