LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
linustalman
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian 12 Bookworm

Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Question How to disable system bell in Debian 9 Stretch Xfce?

Hi.

How can I disable the system bell in Debian 9 Stretch Xfce?

It beeps if for example I'm in a text editor at the top of the page and push left arrow key. Or if I'm in Thunar and click the arrow but cannot move to another directory, etc.

This works but the sound returned on reboot:
Code:
xset b off
I tried this but no joy: https://blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/201...e-system-bell/

I also tried this, no joy again: https://en.opensuse.org/SDBisabling_the_system_bell

Thanks.

Last edited by linustalman; 06-29-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
IsaacKuo

Distribution: Debian Stable

Rep: Reputation: 465Reputation: 465Reputation: 465Reputation: 465Reputation: 465
Since you're using XFCE4, I would suggest creating a small shell script and adding it to the XFCE4 Sessions and Startup autostart. I'd make it look something like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
sleep 5
xset b off
If you don't know how to make a shell script, first use a text editor to create the file (call it mystartup.sh) and set it to executable with:
Code:
chmod 755 mystartup.sh
Then go into XFCE4's Session and Startup settings and add it to the Application Autostart tab.

Note that in this example it waits 5 seconds before running "xset b off". I find that adding a time delay helps ensure that XFCE4 has fully loaded up before we start messing with X settings. Otherwise, there's a decent chance of the script and XFCE4 stepping on each other's toes.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
linustalman
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
Since you're using XFCE4, I would suggest creating a small shell script and adding it to the XFCE4 Sessions and Startup autostart. I'd make it look something like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
sleep 5
xset b off
If you don't know how to make a shell script, first use a text editor to create the file (call it mystartup.sh) and set it to executable with:
Code:
chmod 755 mystartup.sh
Then go into XFCE4's Session and Startup settings and add it to the Application Autostart tab.

Note that in this example it waits 5 seconds before running "xset b off". I find that adding a time delay helps ensure that XFCE4 has fully loaded up before we start messing with X settings. Otherwise, there's a decent chance of the script and XFCE4 stepping on each other's toes.

Hi Isaac.

The beep remains.

Would it make a difference if '#!/bin/bash' was used instead in the script? Edit: it doesn't.

This is very odd because if I manually put 'xset b off' into the terminal, the bell sound goes away. But in the script it never takes effect.

Last edited by linustalman; 06-29-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
IsaacKuo

Distribution: Debian Stable

Rep: Reputation: 465Reputation: 465Reputation: 465Reputation: 465Reputation: 465
What happens if you run the script in a terminal window? Use:
Code:
./mystartup.sh
Does it complain with any error?

Old 06-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
mralk3
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050
How to disable system bell in Debian 9 Stretch Xfce?

Blacklist the "pcspkr" kernel module, rebuild the initramfs, then reboot. I haven't ran Debian in quite a while, but this used to be something I did on all my new installations.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
linustalman
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
What happens if you run the script in a terminal window? Use:
Code:
./mystartup.sh
Does it complain with any error?
My mistake. When I copied the code from your post, sleep 5 and xset b off ended up on the same line. The script works perfectly. Thank you very much. :-)

Tags
debian 9, system bell, xfce