LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
madhu.luck67@gmail.com
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to Know a particular user is a Normal User or Remote(NIS) User in Redhat Linux?

i want to know a particular User is Normal or Remote(NIS) User... how to find it? ie; how Differentiates a Normal User to a Remote(NIS) User...

Old 05-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308
how to define normal and remote users?
probably you will find normal users in /etc/passwd (if you understand it well - and that is called local users).

Old 05-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
madhu.luck67@gmail.com
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I know that normal users we can See in /etc/passwd....But I am Asking about, how to Know that a User is Remote User (or) Normal User?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan64 View Post
how to define normal and remote users?
probably you will find normal users in /etc/passwd (if you understand it well - and that is called local users).
I know that normal users we can See in /etc/passwd....But I am Asking about, how to Know that a User is Remote User (or) Normal User? Actually Remote Users can login from any where,but normal users can login only Local servers...
in "/etc/passwd" file Normal user & Remote user both information will be there means, how to Identify in /etc/passwd file a particular User is Normal User (or) Remote USer.....

Old 05-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
ardvark71
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lubuntu 14.04, 22.04, Windows 8.1 and 10

Rep: Reputation: 842Reputation: 842Reputation: 842Reputation: 842Reputation: 842Reputation: 842Reputation: 842
Hello and welcome to the forum

Just as a suggestion, you might want to change your username using the instructions at the top of the page here, lest your email inbox ends up with a boatload of SPAM in the very near future. You can find the "Contact Us" form here.

Regards...

Old 05-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu.luck67@gmail.com View Post
i want to know a particular User is Normal or Remote(NIS) User... how to find it? ie; how Differentiates a Normal User to a Remote(NIS) User...
...and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu.luck67@gmail.com
I know that normal users we can See in /etc/passwd....But I am Asking about, how to Know that a User is Remote User (or) Normal User? Actually Remote Users can login from any where,but normal users can login only Local servers... in "/etc/passwd" file Normal user & Remote user both information will be there means, how to Identify in /etc/passwd file a particular User is Normal User (or) Remote USer.....
Read the "Question Guidelines" link in my posting signature; doing basic research should be the first thing you try. Since you probably found this site with an Internet search, putting "how to list nis users" into that same search engine yields lots. Are you the administrator??? Because if you are, you should then also be familiar with the ypcat and yplist commands...try reading those man pages. And you mention Red Hat Linux....have you called Red Hat support (you are paying for RHEL, right?), and/or checked the Red Hat knowledgebase?
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/7247