LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
syspklc53
LQ Newbie

Distribution: DSL Ubuntu 16.04 openSUSE 42.3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Installed openSUSE 42.2 (Leap) Server

During my install I had the choice of (desktop) KDE, Gnome or Server.
I chose Server (text only). But I also wanted a desktop interface Gnome. I opened Yast. I didn't see it in the Yast Control Center. I purchased openSUSE 42.2 thumb drive. I added the usb Kingston DataTraveler thumb drive as a repository. Do I need mount it to have access ?

Dell Inspiron 3650
i7-6700 CPU 3.40 ghz 16g ram 64bit os

Old 04-30-2017, 03:25 AM   #2
petelq

Distribution: openSUSE(Leap and Tumbleweed) and a (not so) regularly changing third and fourth

Use zypper to load "patterns-openSUSE-gnome"
Code:
zypper in patterns-openSUSE-gnome

Old 05-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
syspklc53
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Empty destination in URI: hd:///?device=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-1PHISON_USB3-part2

I didn't have the thumb drive in when I issued the cmd the 1st time
(I'm assuming the repository is on the thumb drive) after inserting the thumb drive
I got the above message

Old 05-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #4
petelq

Distribution: openSUSE(Leap and Tumbleweed) and a (not so) regularly changing third and fourth

I don't know what's on you thumb drive but the repos are online. You need an internet connection to make the zypper command work. It will pull in all the files you need to get started on a gnome desktop.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
syspklc53
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Good morning Pete
Thank you for responding to my post. My name is Kenneth Cahn but you can call me Ken if you like.
Seeing I'm missing packages out the repository and I saw step in the install that mentioned repositories
I was thinking about scrapping this install and starting over again. Which brings me deleting an installed version.
Are there any references you can recommend ? And is there any advice you would like to give me before I start my install
over again ?

Ken

Old 05-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
petelq

Hi Ken
Just follow the instructions. A reinstall will install over what's already there and when you come to the appropriate screen, make sure you choose a desktop gui if that's what you want.
It should all go according to plan.
If you do have any problems make a note of screen info or error messages and come back to us here.
Good luck.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
syspklc53
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Pete
I forgot to mention that this install has Windows 10 already installed.
So, now I have a dual bootable system. I booted to Win10 and saw I wasn't connected to the internet.
I can see the network (wireless) and have it setup to connect automatically during the boot process.
Well, this is the 3rd time (since I installed openSUSE) I'm having to power off the cable modem and router.
(After powering on the cable modem and router)
I can start a browser and connect to the internet but I haven't tried booting openSUSE yet.
I need to access the internet once I boot into openSUSE. Since I have no browser will this command do the trick ?
After logging in as su: zypper addrepo http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/pa...USE_Leap_42.2/ Packman-Repository
Thoughts ???

Ken
I didn't do a reinstall

Old 05-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
petelq

Quote:
Originally Posted by syspklc53 View Post
Pete
I need to access the internet once I boot into openSUSE. Since I have no browser will this command do the trick ?
After logging in as su: zypper addrepo http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/pa...USE_Leap_42.2/ Packman-Repository
You will need an internet connection to make zypper work properly. Usually connecting to router with ethernet cable is better until you have everything sorted. You should have a browser in opensuse. It's normally a default install.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:06 AM   #9
syspklc53
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Pete
I did a complete reinstall (I forgot my password). I couldn't configure my network during the install.
I selected Gnome as my desktop interface. No gotchas booted as expected.
I clicked the network icon found my network entered the password got connected.
During the install there were over 1200 packages that were installed.
These packages got installed on my hd (question) and if so zypper will find them there before looking online?
The reason why I'm asking that question when I get home i'M GOING TO Start installing Apache.
As far as this thread/issue is concerned I consider it a done deal. Thank you for responding for my request for help.
BTW I found an article that answered my question that brought me here.
It says "You can install the server either full-featured textmode installer or graphical installer".

Ken

Old 05-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
syspklc53
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi Pete
I ran into some issues running Yast (from the Control Center). Clicking on Add-On Products:
I received a popup screen on the bottom read Loading the Package MGR it was at 50%
The error message read: cannot access installation media
hd:///?device=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-1PHISON_USB3-part2
(MEDIUM 1)
Check whether the server is accessible

Initialize the Target System was checked
=> Load the Configured Repositories (in progress)
I clicked 'Skip', this message came out
An error occurred during repository initialization. Skip request
User requested skipping of a file History: Empty destination in URI:
hd:///?device/disk/by-id/scsi-1PHISON_USB3-part2

Ken

Old 05-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
syspklc53
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi Pete
when I issue this cmd: zypper repos -d this is displayed along with other repos but this is the 1st entry
# Alias Service Name Enabled GPG Check Refresh Priority Type URI
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
1 openSUSE- openSUSE- Yes (r) Yes Yes 99 yast2 hd:///?device=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-1PHISON_USB3-part2
42.2.0 42.2.0

Any help would be appreicated.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #12
syspklc53
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi Pete
I want to install emacs if it hasn't been. I issued the cmd sudo zypper install emacs
I'm getting Empty destination in URI: hd///?device=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-lPHISON_USB3-part2
All along I've been putting the number one before PHISON I can see now it's a lower case L

Ken

Old 05-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #13
syspklc53
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Pete
I reinstalled openSUSE for the 3rd time. Still getting Empty destination in URI.
One of my co workers googled the message and found a hit. The 1st hit suggested deleting the entry.
The 2nd hit suggested disabing or mark as no refresh.
I think I'll mark and label it no refresh and see what happens.
Ken

Old 05-23-2017, 03:30 AM   #14
mrmazda
LQ Guru

Distribution: openSUSE 24/7; Debian, Knoppix, Mageia, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066
Each openSUSE repository is represented by a .repo file in /etc/zypp/repos.d/. The file located there for the USB drive you bought needs to point to the precise mount location where you find it mounted any time you have it in a USB port. If you find no match between the current mount location and the location in the .repo file you will get error messages from zypper. When trying to update or install a new package from the internet, there's no reason for the drive to be mounted, other than avoiding annoying error messages. So, rename that file to something that is not .repo to disable it, or use zypper or YaST2 to disable it, before trying to update or install from internet.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #15
syspklc53
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Smile

MrMazda
Thank you for updating me about why I was getting the empty uri error msg. I had a sneaking suspicion not unmounting the USB would cause problems down the road but you have confirmed that. I was able to disable and label it no refresh which seems to have helped. If I ever need to use the USB drive for another install I’ll remember to unmount the drive before pulling it out. Again thank you !
Ken