LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware (15 current), Slack15, Ubuntu studio, MX Linux, FreeBSD 13.1, WIn10

Rep: Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242
bbconf- slackbuild - QT version 3.1 not found

Trying to use a SlackBuild to compile and install bbconf

QT version error
Code:
checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.1 (20021021)) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
post here states how to find qt version installed on Slack.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ckware-811823/

is that error taking about the QMake version?
Looking for greater or equal to 3.1 and mine is 2.01a
or
is is talking about the QT version itself which is 4.8.7?
Code:
userx%slackwhere ⚡ bbconf ⚡> qmake -v
QMake version 2.01a
Using Qt version 4.8.7 in /usr/lib64/qt/lib
either way. How do I get past this and get'er installed?

Last edited by BW-userx; 04-27-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
ponce
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174
bbconf's last version is from fourteen years ago and it has been written in Qt-3.x, so it need qt3 from SBo (notice that you have to logout and login again, after having installed qt3, before trying to build bbconf): but if you install qt3 and pass --with-qt-dir=/opt/kde3 to bbconf's configure to let it find it, it won't build the same as it should be patched to build on modern operating systems (sources are too old).
but, if you also spend time patching it to let it build, I doubt it will be functional neverthless: reading here most probably it won't even work with the blackbox version we have on Slackware.
that's maybe the reason why no distribution ships bbconf since at least ten years (maybe more).
if I were you I would try to look for an alternative.

Last edited by ponce; 04-27-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware (15 current), Slack15, Ubuntu studio, MX Linux, FreeBSD 13.1, WIn10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
bbconf's last version is from fourteen years ago and it has been written in Qt-3.x, so it need qt3 from SBo (notice that you have to logout and login again, after having installed qt3, before trying to build bbconf): but if you install qt3 and pass --with-qt-dir=/opt/kde3 to bbconf's configure to let it find it, it won't build the same as it should be patched to build on modern operating systems (sources are too old).
but, if you also spend time patching it to let it build, I doubt it will be functional neverthless: reading here most probably it won't even work with the blackbox version we have on Slackware.
that's maybe the reason why no distribution ships bbconf since at least ten years (maybe more).
if I were you I would try to look for an alternative.
yeah that / is can be the big Linux/GNU complaint of history. No one keeps up with the desktops and or add on of days of Old. yet still has them available to use. ie WindowManager is kept alive but not the docapps it is written to use, they are all outdated. WMaker keyboad shortcuts are limited from what I've taken time to look into. they are not fully customizable to whatever I want. from what time I put into looking into. that tool to edit it I did not or have not figured out how to put fully customized keyboard shortcuts in it. only that are already there to have added the keys to use.

BlackBox is updated, for some strange reason they decided to remove some functionality out of it and them that pick it up left so what is missing is outdated.

I just want to throw in some KB Shortcuts to open up a few apps I use for the most part. switching vDT's is middle mouse button.

Linux still has these WindowManagers from when it first started, and some taken from UNIX (I suppose) and they've all mostly are now poorly maintained if at all, but are still given to be used. even included in the installs, with little to no support for them.

What happened to all of the "geeks" that love to write docapps for WindowMaker and such? they all die or went to iPhone apps to get that 99cents a sell instead?

Old 04-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-15.0

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
If you want to use a so old software your will have more luck installing it on an older Slackware release.

Or try one of its successors, like fluxbox or openbox

But what you really want is the best window manager out there, use fvwm, that is still actively maintained and is shipped in Slackware. I have used many WMs, am running fvwm 2.6.7 and won't look back.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
If you want to use a so old software your will have more luck installing it on an older Slackware release.

Or try one of its successors, like fluxbox or openbox

But what you really want is the best window manager out there, use fvwm, that is still actively maintained and is shipped in Slackware. I have used many WMs, am running fvwm 2.6.7 and won't look back.
yeah I've been using fluxbox, Wmaker (Wmaker at this moment in time) got Blackbox might as well hang out in that one for a while it is installed, then comes the now I got a customize it, and well you seen where that lead me --> back to WindowMaker then Fluxbox (my main wm)

I think I've messed with fvwm -- got a go take a look at it again to refresh my memory on that one,

yeah Now I remember that 95 look and well this is strange I got just fvwm running right now.
looks to need lots of work to get it set up, even a menu of apps even.

Last edited by BW-userx; 04-27-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Tags
bbconf