LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #16
kikinovak
MLED Founder

Distribution: CentOS, OpenSUSE

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocapitalist View Post
I would show both links to those that do make the rules there, since the other search engines will probably follow Google soon and start penalizing such blocked sites.

Depending on the country in which the site is based, failing to provide a working site may be in violation of accessibility laws.

Save both work and increase your market by n percent by using HTML and CSS instead of JS.

Edit: Here are two positive examples of using CSS without requiring JS:
You have two solutions here:

1. Using Firefox, open Edit > Preferences and uncheck the "Only display vegan gluten-free websites" box.

2. Use Links.

Cheers,

Niki

Old 03-12-2017, 06:05 AM   #17
Turbocapitalist
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint, Devuan, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720
You did solicit feedback by posting here, but hey, I'll go with #3 instead.

3. Ignore broken sites, just like the search engines do

Old 03-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #18
kikinovak
MLED Founder

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154Reputation: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocapitalist View Post
You did solicit feedback by posting here, but hey, I'll go with #3 instead.

3. Ignore broken sites, just like the search engines do
Here's the website displayed by two different browsers on a Slackware64 14.1 system.

1. Mozilla Firefox 45.8.0 ESR (default configuration).

2. Links.

I suggest you just use the standard Firefox configuration. Or any other browser on any other system, for the matter. I did ask for feedback on the site's content indeed. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of mobile-friendly web design, I don't think this is the appropriate place to do this. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mled-firefox.png
Views:	33
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	24469   Click image for larger version

Name:	mled-links.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	24470  

Old 03-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #19
Turbocapitalist
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint, Devuan, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720Reputation: 3720
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
I suggest you ...
Thank you for misunderstanding the whole point of Jahn's post: http://web.archive.org/web/199910042....com/opti.html

Broken is not "mobile-friendly". But I accept that you have dug in.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #20
the3dfxdude

Rep: Reputation: 358Reputation: 358Reputation: 358Reputation: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocapitalist
The new one just has slowly rotating curved lines in the middle of the browser window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyTiger View Post
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. My experience on the site was the same as yours until I temporarily turned on javascript for the site, then the site worked for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocapitalist
Save both work and increase your market by n percent by using HTML and CSS instead of JS.

Edit: Here are two positive examples of using CSS without requiring JS:
Well neither of you are exactly correct. The site displays an overlay hiding content, yes, that won't go away if js is disabled. But, if you are using NoScript, then press and hold the left mouse button on the center graphic and press delete, and then the same on the general overlay. Then you can use the site just fine without js. js is not required for this site. The overlay may be from css or standard html, I don't know this since I don't make websites.

"Customized" maybe my seamonkey (not heavily), but you gotta know how to use your browser when you see sites like this...

I generally browse on mobile devices without js btw. It speeds up sites immensely. I don't know how to kill overlays in this case (chrome on mobile). I would just get rid of that "loading" thing, and it is a fine site after that.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #21
Slax-Dude

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 272Reputation: 272Reputation: 272
I also have JS disabled and the new site does not work for me.
You keep saying JS is not needed, yet the site does not work without it...

Maybe it would be better to have a fallback for such cases?
Even a simple page just saying "hey, turn on JS or this site will not work" is better that rotating lines thing.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #22
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-15.0

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slax-Dude View Post
I also have JS disabled and the new site does not work for me. You keep saying JS is not needed, yet the site does not work without it... Maybe it would be better to have a fallback for such cases?
Even a simple page just saying "hey, turn on JS or this site will not work" is better that rotating lines thing.
I agree. I can't access the site with javascript disabled in Firefox. Maybe it's specific to firefox, but many people use that and some with javascript disabled. Other than that it's beautiful, congrats

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 03-13-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #23
kikinovak
MLED Founder

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
I agree. I can't access the site with javascript disabled in Firefox.
- Hi guys. Here's 1.558 extra packages for Slackware. And dozens of pages of documentation. Have fun.

- Thanks. But we'd rather spend this whole thread explaining how we disabled JavaScript in our browsers.

- [...]

Old 03-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #24
orbea

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
To be honest if it was anyone else likely most people would not even bother to tell you that you decided to adopt current popular yet bad web design practices and moved on instead...

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #25
Gerard Lally

Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1761Reputation: 1761Reputation: 1761Reputation: 1761Reputation: 1761Reputation: 1761Reputation: 1761Reputation: 1761Reputation: 1761Reputation: 1761Reputation: 1761
Quote:
- Hi guys. Here's 1.558 extra packages for Slackware. And dozens of pages of documentation. Have fun
The site looks well, Niki, although I prefer the old one. You've obviously put a lot of work into it, but you should listen respectfully to criticism. I agree with TurboCapitalist that a site in 2017 should degrade gracefully. Many people disable javascript these days.

Another thing: too often I have gone looking for your guides (setting up Slackware on online.net, for example) and found them missing, or at a new address.

When I can find them, the guides are useful. The website looks good; the content is worthwhile. Don't get too upset when somebody prods you to make changes that can only be beneficial. I had a customer about 12 years ago who had severely limited mobility and helping her with a computer opened my eyes to the brain-dead and stupid interfaces supposedly intelligent programmers still design in the 21st century. Don't be like those people. Accessibility matters.

Last edited by Gerard Lally; 03-13-2017 at 07:26 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:30 AM   #26
kikinovak
MLED Founder

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
Another thing: too often I have gone looking for your guides (setting up Slackware on online.net, for example) and found them missing, or at a new address.
Well, the project and the related documentation didn't jump fully-grown and armed out of Athena's head on day one.

Early versions of MLED and my documentation were part of my company's website (http://www.microlinux.fr). As the project grew, I decided to publish these pages under their own domain (https://www.microlinux.eu) which eventually got split for the translation (https://fr.microlinux.eu). The general technical documentation is gathered on my company's dedicated blog (http://blog.microlinux.fr). Everything Slackware-related has a special page on this blog (http://blog.microlinux.fr/slackware/).

These URLs will not move in a foreseeable future.

Cheers,

Niki

Old 03-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #27
Slax-Dude

Rep: Reputation: 272Reputation: 272Reputation: 272
Quote:
- Hi guys. Here's 1.558 extra packages for Slackware. And dozens of pages of documentation. Have fun.

- Thanks. But we'd rather spend this whole thread explaining how we disabled JavaScript in our browsers.

- [...]
I have a lot of respect for you and your wonderful repository of packages, which I use.

That being said... this thread was created to announce a new website, not the 1558 extra packages for slackware that already existed, with the intent of asking feedback about it.

We did that, and you got upset about the criticism regarding a flaw in the fallback mechanism for browsers with no javascript active...

Like orbea said: if it was someone else most would probably not even bother to help.
Yes, we are trying to help. I'm sorry you don't see it that way.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #28
TracyTiger

Rep: Reputation: 273Reputation: 273Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dfxdude View Post
But, if you are using NoScript, then press and hold the left mouse button on the center graphic and press delete, and then the same on the general overlay. Then you can use the site just fine without js. js is not required for this site.
Thanks for this information. I use NoScript and it worked just as you described. I wasn't aware NoScript could delete individual page components like this.

In the future I'll be trying this technique on stubborn web pages before I relent and temporarily turn on javascript for a domain or choose to skip the page.