LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
a4z

Rep: Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742
new 'create deb packages tutorial' video

a tutorial video about how to create deb packages from our latest user group meetup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLubdvMzmZs&t=1207s

Enjoy!

Old 12-27-2016, 02:48 AM   #2
Michael Uplawski

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Good work. Helps a lot.
Although ... If “It's easy”, then anything is easy. 1h11 speak volumes (virtually) and “You see, there is no leading slash. Don't ask me why” yet another.

The procedure is still cumbersome and has always been. In my experience, you can create all deb packages that you want, but to do it right asks for precision in many respects. I knew to do it, but it is not easy and there are many pitfalls to avoid.

A good educational video which I add to my references, in case I ever have to build deb-packages again.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:22 AM   #3
a4z

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742
my explanation for the slash is:
there is no slash because you are in the $DESTDIR, and you copy relative to this.
if the file name would start with / it would be an absolute path.
so
/usr/include/foo.h would want to go to the file system, bad.

usr/include/foo.h goes to wherever the package manager is (pkgdir in Slackware speak) and copy it relative to there.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:26 AM   #4
Michael Uplawski

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4z View Post
my explanation for the slash is:
there is no slash because you are in the $DESTDIR, and you copy relative to this.
if the file name would start with / it would be an absolute path.
so
/usr/include/foo.h would want to go to the file system, bad.

usr/include/foo.h goes to wherever the package manager is (pkgdir in Slackware speak) and copy it relative to there.
It is not so much the little detail about the slash, but the number of times that, also in the video, these details are of importance. Maybe you would not count them as “difficulty” and I should rather list them under “a huge bunch of things to consider”.