LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2016, 11:27 PM   #1
agarwaldvk
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
What permissions should this share have to realize my target objective?

Hi Everyone

In my current setup, the directory structure is like so :-

/media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media/
/share4data/

Each of the 2 sub-folders viz “share4data” and “share4media” are physical hard disk drives mounted like so :-

/dev/sda1 /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media/ ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4data/ ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

The share definition of the “dataplusmediafiles” share is as follows :-

[dataplusmediafiles]
path = /media/dataplusmediafiles
browsable = yes
writable = yes
guest = ok
read only = no
public = yes
guest account = nobody
force user = nobody
create mask = 777
admin users = agarwaldvk

Given that the default umask is 002 in Ubuntu, shouldn’t the permissions of the sub-folders “share4data” and “share4media” be 775 with the world not having write permissions? But as at now, anyone can read, write and execute on all the files and directories in there without having to enter a password.

The output of the commands :-
“ls –ld /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media/” and
“ls –ld /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4data/”

show 777 permissions for both of these sub folders. How is that?

agarwaldvk@MyHomeServer:~$ ls -ld /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media/
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Nov 4 09:10 /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media/

agarwaldvk@MyHomeServer:~$ ls -ld /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4data
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Nov 12 07:18 /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4data

Could someone please advise, what should my share configuration be like so that I, as the administrator (user – agarwaldvk), only can made modifications to the files and directories within the sub-folder “share4media” with everyone else able to read and browse through it and all of its sub directories and execute all of the files there as well without requiring a password. All the files therein are media files in that they are either image, video or music files.

Or should I be creating a separate share for "/media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media" path with the appropriate permissions to meet the above need?

Best regards

Deepak

Old 11-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
agarwaldvk
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi

Any suggestions on this one please?

Best regards

Deepak

Old 11-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarwaldvk View Post
Hi Everyone
In my current setup, the directory structure is like so :-

/media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media/
/share4data/

Each of the 2 sub-folders viz “share4data” and “share4media” are physical hard disk drives mounted like so :-

/dev/sda1 /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media/ ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4data/ ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

The share definition of the “dataplusmediafiles” share is as follows :-

[dataplusmediafiles]
path = /media/dataplusmediafiles
browsable = yes
writable = yes
guest = ok
read only = no
public = yes
guest account = nobody
force user = nobody
create mask = 777
admin users = agarwaldvk

Given that the default umask is 002 in Ubuntu, shouldn’t the permissions of the sub-folders “share4data” and “share4media” be 775 with the world not having write permissions? But as at now, anyone can read, write and execute on all the files and directories in there without having to enter a password.

The output of the commands :-
“ls –ld /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media/” and
“ls –ld /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4data/”

show 777 permissions for both of these sub folders. How is that?

agarwaldvk@MyHomeServer:~$ ls -ld /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media/
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Nov 4 09:10 /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media/

agarwaldvk@MyHomeServer:~$ ls -ld /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4data
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Nov 12 07:18 /media/dataplusmediafiles/share4data

Could someone please advise, what should my share configuration be like so that I, as the administrator (user – agarwaldvk), only can made modifications to the files and directories within the sub-folder “share4media” with everyone else able to read and browse through it and all of its sub directories and execute all of the files there as well without requiring a password. All the files therein are media files in that they are either image, video or music files. Or should I be creating a separate share for "/media/dataplusmediafiles/share4media" path with the appropriate permissions to meet the above need?
...and, a little over 24 hours later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarwaldvk
Hi
Any suggestions on this one please?
Read the LQ Rules and posting guidelines...we volunteer our time here, so expecting us to hurry up and answer you is fairly rude. Don't post follow-ups unless you're going to actually provide more information. And all you've really managed to do is to remove your post from the zero-reply list, making it LESS LIKELY to be visible and LESS LIKELY to get help.

And this post seems VERY similar to this one: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...lp-4175593181/

Care to explain the difference between them?

Old 11-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
agarwaldvk
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi TBOne

First of all, let me apologize for having said the wrong thing. It was never the intent to expect a response in the immediate. I just thought that I would say it so that this post doesn't get lost among the many that are made on this very information and good forum.

Bot of those posts are indeed similar but because of my limited understanding of the Linux system as such and just to keep the context independent of any other post, I thought that it might be better if I made the context clearer for those who may not read the other post of mine. Also, the other post was getting very long as well so I thought its best to create a new post with one issue to address in one post.

I am hopeful that this would clarify the situation. I once again, unconditionally apologize if I may have inadvertently broken or or more of the forum posting rules and also may have offended anyone.

Best regards

Deepak

Old 11-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488
I don't use Samba or ntfs but what you show in your smb.conf file for that directory would indicate anyone accessing it has full permissions. You might try changing these entries or wait for someone more knowledgeable on samba to answer.

Quote:
writable = yes
read only = no
public = yes

Old 11-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #6
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarwaldvk View Post
Hi TBOne
First of all, let me apologize for having said the wrong thing. It was never the intent to expect a response in the immediate. I just thought that I would say it so that this post doesn't get lost among the many that are made on this very information and good forum.
Fine, but you really need to read the forum rules, and apply some basic common sense when posting. The guidelines are not to bump your own threads, unless you're providing more information/clarification to what's been already posted. And as said, posting "any suggestions?" does NOTHING to make it more visible, but only serves to make it LESS VISIBLE. It goes from "zero reply" to "been replied to", so people are LESS LIKELY to do anything at that point.
Quote:
Bot of those posts are indeed similar but because of my limited understanding of the Linux system as such and just to keep the context independent of any other post, I thought that it might be better if I made the context clearer for those who may not read the other post of mine. Also, the other post was getting very long as well so I thought its best to create a new post with one issue to address in one post.
Both posts ask the same question, regarding the same directory, with samba being the focus. This falls under "posting the same question multiple times"...again, please read the LQ Rules and posting guidelines.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
agarwaldvk
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi

Understand that. In the interest of not adding any further confusion, I think its best that I request the moderator to delete all of my postings including this one. They are all very trial and don't add any value to anyone and when I have fully understood the forum posting rules, I shall post again. In the meanwhile, I do extend my most sincere thanks and appreciation for all the help afforded to me so far.

P.S.
The Moderator - Could you please delete all of my (username = agarwaldvk) postings from all the forums - as I believe that are very trivial in nature and don't add any value to anyone and all they are doing is just adding confusion. I once again unreservedly apologize to have unintentionally caused grief to the forum users.

Best regards

Deepak

Old 11-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #8
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
You're welcome and invited to ask any questions (albeit not duplicate ones) that LQ can handle, period. So no, I see no reason to delete your posts. Apart from that any advice given like yancek did would loose its meaning. So the only thing I'm going to do is close this one as a duplicate thread. Also some advice may come across as a bit confrontational so feel free to ignore the way a fellow member posted advice as long as you understand the essence of it. Any questions feel free to email me or any other moderator, OK?

Closed Thread