LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #16
dorsio

Distribution: Debian

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lerner View Post
In that case, maybe you should use Windows instead of Ubuntu.
I'm trying to combine using both, Windows and Linux. Windows more for productivity tasks whereas Linux for task related with various hardware, embedded OS. Does the output show meaningful info?

Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #17
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsio View Post
I can login as Administrator use TTY4, but not from GUI. I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 from TTY console. But I'm still can no login from GUI as admin. I have not set root priveleges, that configuration was set by default, from Dell.
And AGAIN, you were given links to enable such access, and to enable the GUI for root.
And AGAIN, if you're using what's from Dell, then READ THEIR DOCUMENTATION OR CONTACT THEM.
Quote:
Also, when I reinstalled 12.04 I only repeated same steps that was required during very first configuration. Dell phone support is not available in my area, btw.
Why is that??? You can't dial those particular numbers? AGAIN if you're going to stick with "it's from Dell, and I only want to use what Dell provides", then your ONLY OPTION is to call Dell for support. As said NUMEROUS times so far, you can load ANY version of Linux you want, and we even suggested Mint several times.....pick a direction and move in it.
Quote:
How to reset access to Administrator account via GUI?
YOU GO READ THE LINK YOU WERE SPOON-FED PREVIOUSLY...this is STILL not a difficult thing to look up for yourself, and you've been handed it twice now. What more would you like?
Quote:
If there is some file corrupted, the only way to solve the issue is completely reinstall system?
AGAIN, NO...YOU did that yourself, you cancelled the repair, and you're AMAZED that your system had problems.
Quote:
Windows have many system diagnostic and repair utilites that can solve various issues, but Linux lack this functionality.
AGAIN, you are WRONG...Linux systems have FAR more repair/rescue abilities than Windows. You are just not paying attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsio
In terms of usability, for most of general users, Windows is still far ahead of Linux, unfortunately.
Wrong. Linux is different...when you don't know what you're doing, it's hard. I find Windows MUCH harder to use than Linux, because I am USED TO Linux. People who use a Mac every day swear by them, but no matter what, you can't just sit down with something you're not used to, and expect to 'just know' how to use it, can you??? You are expecting Linux to be magic, somehow.
Quote:
sudo apt-get -f install

if run from Guest account, it returns:sudo: unable to change to root gid: Operation not permitted
RIGHT...because you STILL are using the 'guest' account, which does not have sudo rights. Use your OWN account, which DOES, or follow the two tutorials/links you were handed previously, but seem to have ignored.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
http://askubuntu.com/questions/44418...ble-root-login

No matter what 'tty' you log in to, you have COMPLETELY BOTCHED your system. This is not the fault of Linux...this is YOUR fault.
Quote:
I'm trying to combine using both, Windows and Linux. Windows more for productivity tasks whereas Linux for task related with various hardware, embedded OS. Does the output show meaningful info?
Yes, it shows you haven't read/understood/tried ANYTHING you've been told so far. I agree with DaveLerner...you need to go back to Windows.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #18
dorsio

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
AGAIN, NO...YOU did that yourself, you cancelled the repair, and you're AMAZED that your system had problems.
I canceled upgrade just because process was unexpectedly long, it "hang up" somewhere (whereas it install in background), without some notification text (like "wait.. etc"), as I can't wait forever, I canceled upgrade.
If reinstall, if there any advantages to keep existing partitioning scheme(in term of convenience)i.e. preserve DellUtility partition(for easier recover), and Partition 2 and 4?

Last edited by dorsio; 07-26-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #19
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963Reputation: 7963
Quote:
I canceled upgrade just because process was unexpectedly long, it "hang up" somewhere (whereas it install in background), without some notification text (like "wait.. etc"), as I can't wait forever, I canceled upgrade.
Then don't whine when your machine doesn't work.
Quote:
If reinstall, if there any advantages to keep existing partitioning scheme(in term of convenience)i.e. preserve DellUtility partition(for easier recover), and Partition 2 and 4?
I think it would be far better if you just used Windows, and deleted Linux.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #20
TxLonghorn

Distribution: Mandrake 9.2

Rep: Reputation: 231Reputation: 231Reputation: 231
You really should consider an upgrade to one of the more recent linux versions. Mint has been mentioned (Mint 18 - or Mint 17.3 would do). The latest LTS Ubuntu would work as well.
No, it is not mandatory to wipe the hard drive and start from scratch, but in your case, with the problems you have related, it is not a bad idea.
Just make sure all your personal files are backed up first.
I would not worry about losing any Dell utilities on the hard drive. Linux has utilities which can do whatever you need to do.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #21
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Dell phone support is not available in my area, btw.
If you knew you could not get support, why buy it??

Quote:
How to reset access to Administrator account via GUI?
If all you have to work with is a guest account, you can't. Guest user privileges are extremely limited on Ubuntu and do not allow the use of sudo and nothing is saved on reboot for a guest user. Also you can't install software and do upgrades as a guest user so if you were able to do that you had to be able to log in as a normal user with sudo privileges. Either that, or if this was a pre-installed system from Dell, then Dell modified the accoutn.

When you reinstalled, did you create a new user or just hope that the old user would still work?
Anyhow, Ubuntu documentation on the "guest accout"

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizeGuestSession

I don't see how any of the problems the OP is having are related to the specific distribution release, Ubuntu 12.04. It is supported and will be at least until April, 2017. Mostly the old PEBKAC problem.

Last edited by yancek; 07-26-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #22
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
If you knew you could not get support, why buy it??
I wondered the same thing. I also wondered why the OP couldn't make a phone call to a specific number from that area, too. I'm fairly certain I can punch numbers on any phone in the world, and connect to any other.
Quote:
If all you have to work with is a guest account, you can't. Guest user privileges are extremely limited on Ubuntu and do not allow the use of sudo and nothing is saved on reboot for a guest user. Also you can't install software and do upgrades as a guest user so if you were able to do that you had to be able to log in as a normal user with sudo privileges. Either that, or if this was a pre-installed system from Dell, then Dell modified the accoutn.

When you reinstalled, did you create a new user or just hope that the old user would still work?
Anyhow, Ubuntu documentation on the "guest accout"

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizeGuestSession
Yep...been given advice on this several times, including links.
Quote:
I don't see how any of the problems the OP is having are related to the specific distribution release, Ubuntu 12.04. It is supported and will be at least until April, 2017. Mostly the old PEBKAC problem.
They said they were reloading...if they're going to reload the system anyway, getting the latest versions of things on wouldn't be a bad way to go. THEN they said it was from Dell, yet they couldn't contact Dell for support, and needed admin access, but couldn't/wouldn't follow the links given...and are still asking for admin access, but they want to keep the Dell restore partition, because....Dell....because....they COMPLETELY botched the system, by cancelling something because it long, and they 'couldn't wait forever'. Reloading would be the quickest and most stable way to get back running...would've taken 30 minutes or so, but they'd rather spend days posting about admin access on a botched system that can't get a GUI.

The OP can either reload everything (hence, Mint or latest Ubuntu for simplicity's sake) and wipe the Dell partition (not using it, since it has Ubuntu 12.04 on it), or they can contact Dell and use the support they paid for. They seem to not want either.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #23
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892
Dave Lerner,dorsio

Per the rules:
Quote:
Do not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, hostile or insulting.
Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated.
Do not post if you do not have anything constructive to say in the post.
If you can not stay on topic this thread will be closed.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:23 AM   #24
dorsio

Original Poster
I solved the problem myself.
I run two commands and that helped.
Code:
sudo xdg-user-dirs-update --force

sudo chown -R username:username /home/username
The issue was not related to wrong setup of admin account, and there is nothing "BOTCHED" or "DAMAGED" as some have pointed here. None of the above tips are helpful.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:22 AM   #25
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
I solved the problem myself.
I run two commands and that helped.
Code:
sudo xdg-user-dirs-update --force
sudo chown -R username:username /home/username
The issue was not related to wrong setup of admin account, and there is nothing "BOTCHED" or "DAMAGED" as some have pointed here. None of the above tips are helpful.
Really?? Nothing was botched or damaged...so explain why you couldn't log in as administrator? You *DID* damage your system when you DID botch the reinstallation, which you, yourself, said you stopped, because it was running "forever".

And glad you solved it "yourself"
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/servergu...anagement.html

Old 07-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #26
dorsio

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Really?? Nothing was botched or damaged...so explain why you couldn't log in as administrator? You *DID* damage your system when you DID botch the reinstallation, which you, yourself, said you stopped, because it was running "forever".

And glad you solved it "yourself"
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/servergu...anagement.html
the link you posted now and in previous responses are useless in solving problem. I can post a million of such links from Debian manual and what's benefits from this? Just general info, useful, but it CAN NOT help to solve real problem. I confirm, that I have not used any of links or "advices" you posted here.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #27
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
the link you posted now and in previous responses are useless in solving problem. I can post a million of such links from Debian manual and what's benefits from this? Just general info, useful, but it CAN NOT help to solve real problem. I confirm, that I have not used any of links or "advices" you posted here.
Good for you...of course not.

Last edited by TB0ne; 08-01-2016 at 07:36 AM.

Tags
12.04 lts, admin, log-in, login, reinstall