LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
terry-duell

Distribution: Fedora 38 x86_64

Rep: Reputation: 59
Dropbox problems on FC24

Hello All,
I have had Dropbox working OK for many past Fedora releases, but having just upgraded from FC23 to FC24 using the dnf-system-plugin-upgrade I'm having problems getting Dropbox up and running. Everything else is OK. I'm running x86_64 and Cinnamon.
Following the Dropbox website story, after installing the Fedora rpm, run ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd but this gives a segmentation fault.
I found nautilus-dropbox was installed so got rid of everything and then reinstalled dropbox and nemo-dropbox (using yum extender, DNF) but it still results in a seg fault.
I may have stuff left over from FC23 that is conflicting, or simply been doing this the wrong way, not sure...maybe the dropbox rpm from the website has problems with FC24.
Anyone with dropbox running OK on FC24 x86_64 with Cinnamon please give me a hoi and let me know how you went about it.

Cheers,
Terry

Old 07-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
lazydog

Distribution: CentOS Sabayon and now Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 194Reputation: 194
So how did you install this RPM file? With rpm or yum/dnf? I would suggest installing with
Code:
yum --nogpgcheck localinstall <package>
So that Yum is aware of what you have installed. It should also look for dependency and install them too if I'm not mistaking.
This might clear up you issues.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
terry-duell

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazydog View Post
So how did you install this RPM file? With rpm or yum/dnf? I would suggest installing with
Code:
yum --nogpgcheck localinstall <package>
So that Yum is aware of what you have installed. It should also look for dependency and install them too if I'm not mistaking.
This might clear up you issues.

They were installed using the Yum Extender (gui), packages from updates and rpmfusion. I went through this process again, and they did install OK as when I logged out an logged in again Nemo was restarted and a dbox popped up to download the dropbox deamon, which I did, but dropbox still doesn't start.
Attempting to start it via command line results in 'segmentation fault'.
I have tried your suggestion but it gives the same result.

Cheers,
Terry

Old 07-26-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
terry-duell

Original Poster
This is proving to be a real puzzlement.
I can log into the Gnome desktop, and the Dropbox icon shows up at lower left of the screen, and after a short period indicates it has synced (green), and I can access the menu from that icon to open the Dropbox folder, but files there are not synced, they show neither the blue icon (not synced) or the green icon (synced).
As when logged into Cinnamon, a dbox often pops up to download the Dropbox deamon, which installs but nothing happens.
I have been to the Dropbox help, which explains a series of instructions to issue if Dropbox is not syncing, and done all that, but it still does not work.
Yet to find a way of contacting Dropbox for specific help, all ways to contact found thus far seem to be related to some other special need.
Is there anyone running F24 and successfully using Dropbox? If so I would love to hear how you managed it.

Cheers,
Terry

Old 07-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #5
terry-duell

Original Poster
Ha...the best way to solve your own problem is to post a question!
I had another look at this.
I removed all installed dropbox related packages.
I then installed the dropbox rpm from the Dropbox web site.
Nothing works in Cinnamon, but if I log out and log in using Gnome, it all works OK.
Not as nice as having it work in Cinnamon, but a workaround that I can live with.

Cheers,
Terry

Old 07-29-2016, 12:57 AM   #6
terry-duell

Original Poster
An addendum.
Yesterday I had an update to Cinnamon-something, and Dropbox just started working in Cinnamon, so now everything is OK.

Cheers,
Terry