LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
patrick295767

Distribution: FreeBSD, Linux, Slackware, LFS, Gparted

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
debian testing stretch: what's the point to rename eth0, wlan0,... at boot?

Hello

by the way, I wonder in stretch what's the point to rename eth0, wlan0,... at boot?

best regards

Old 06-06-2016, 01:47 AM   #2
jim_p

Distribution: Debian testing

Rep: Reputation: 131Reputation: 131
It's a systemd + udev feature since systemd 197 named "predictable network interface names".
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Sof...nterfaceNames/

If you don't like it, use the "net.ifnames=0" boot parameter and change their names to ethX/wlanX in /etc/network/interfaces and anywhere else mentioned with the old name.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
patrick295767

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_p View Post
It's a systemd + udev feature since systemd 197 named "predictable network interface names".
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Sof...nterfaceNames/

If you don't like it, use the "net.ifnames=0" boot parameter and change their names to ethX/wlanX in /etc/network/interfaces and anywhere else mentioned with the old name.
simply why to make debian Ugly?

Please tell others to fix that in stretch. Make it predictable.

(in systemd: please too fix that lid to change it to ignore instead of suspend)

Old 06-07-2016, 12:44 AM   #4
Psy-Q

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick295767 View Post
simply why to make debian Ugly?

Please tell others to fix that in stretch. Make it predictable.
That should actually be the point. They may be ugly, but they should be predictable. If you have a USB wifi dongle, it should always come up with the same name, no matter when you plug it in. No more guessing whether it's eth2 or eth3 today.

Isn't it working like this for you now, ugly but reliable?

Old 06-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
patrick295767

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Q View Post
That should actually be the point. They may be ugly, but they should be predictable. If you have a USB wifi dongle, it should always come up with the same name, no matter when you plug it in. No more guessing whether it's eth2 or eth3 today.

I like that I have wlan0, eth0, wlan1,... and no complex labels something that is simple.

wlan1... up to wlan10, no problem. The best is that it is the same after each reboot.

like before... no need to touch something that was secured and worked.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
Emerson
LQ Sage

Distribution: Gentoo ~amd64

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Q View Post

The fun part here is if you plug your USB dongle into a different USB port it will get a different name ...

Old 06-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #7
patrick295767

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
The fun part here is if you plug your USB dongle into a different USB port it will get a different name ...
that's the ugliest ever indeed.

Man, sometimes people got some fun ideassssss... to mess up their cool debian sys.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:54 AM   #8
jim_p

Distribution: Debian testing

Rep: Reputation: 131Reputation: 131
To be honest, I don't really understand the point of the "predictable network interface names" of systemd. It was predictable before systemd, using udev rules. For instance, I have this in my old pc's /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules since systemd was... an idea, which makes sure its nic is always listed as eth0

Code:
# PCI device 0x8086:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0c.0 (e100)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:d0:b7:90:6b:75", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
This UNIQUELY identifies the card, since it uses its mac address, which is unique indeed. It was not written by me, it was made by the debian installer when I installed the os, sometime in September 2010! And it does work until today, the systemd days. The proof that it does work is that, a few months ago, I had to change slot to the card. And it is still eth0! Would it keep the same name on systemd without the rule? I doubt it.

The situation "if I plug my wireless dongle to a different usb port, it will get a different interface name" because it will be identified again as different hardware, is a bad feature of the windows nature. Sadly, it seems systemd brought it to linux. And "predictable network interface names" is the one of few systemd features I dislike.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #9
patrick295767

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_p View Post
To be honest, I don't really understand the point of the "predictable network interface names" of systemd. It was predictable before systemd, using udev rules. For instance, I have this in my old pc's /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules since systemd was... an idea, which makes sure its nic is always listed as eth0

Code:
# PCI device 0x8086:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0c.0 (e100)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:d0:b7:90:6b:75", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
This UNIQUELY identifies the card, since it uses its mac address, which is unique indeed. It was not written by me, it was made by the debian installer when I installed the os, sometime in September 2010! And it does work until today, the systemd days. The proof that it does work is that, a few months ago, I had to change slot to the card. And it is still eth0! Would it keep the same name on systemd without the rule? I doubt it.

The situation "if I plug my wireless dongle to a different usb port, it will get a different interface name" because it will be identified again as different hardware, is a bad feature of the windows nature. Sadly, it seems systemd brought it to linux. And "predictable network interface names" is the one of few systemd features I dislike.

this is not our job to fix all the debian stretch.

Please make sure that stretch is made out with a predictable wlan.