LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #16
hitest
Guru

Distribution: Void, Debian, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonm View Post
That's the great thing about using Linux...choices.
Agreed. I'm running Debian 9.1 and the Mate desktop. Very light and resposive.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #17
jamvaru
LQ Newbie

Distribution: LM Cinnamon, wattOS LXDE, raspbian, puppy

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I tried LMDE Mate on an old laptop and it is doing very well. Haven't had luck with anything on that old laptop except for generic debian. LMDE is that with mint flavoring.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #18
jens

Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 299Reputation: 299Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwburleigh View Post
After 10 years of running Ubuntu and Mint, I gave Debian/Cinnamon a try. It was a bit tedious getting all my normal applications installed, as they weren't all in the Debian repositories, and Debian doesn't really support PPAs, but I learned a lot in the process and now I'm delighted with the result. It's much quicker than Ubuntu/Mint and I especially like the fact that I get to run Evolution 3.26 rather than 3.18, which is a dramatic improvement. So far I've had no stability issues. It just works.
You could always add unstable and even experimental(only for the brave ones) for certain packages.
Next just use apt-pinning to stay with Buster/testing: https://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences

IMO, their isn't that much difference in quality, main difference is compatibility, not all unstable/experimental packages can be installed on the same system without running in dependency issues or conflicting configs... (in contrast, testing is meant to be the new stable and only accepts packages once they work with everything, unstable is a much bigger pool where everything gets uploaded, except the ones with known issues ... those are in experimental).

Last edited by jens; 10-10-2017 at 08:58 AM.