LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Lola Kews

Rep: Reputation: 38
I'm Lost! System can't connect to router modem, can't change networking info!!

I'm running 14.04 Ubuntu.
The above all happened around 12 May or so (not sure now). Just got up one morning and it wouldn't connect and have been trying to figure out why up till now with NO luck.
I did find that there are 2 similar Network packages and I believe the one that got downloaded automatically when I upgraded the system through the automatic "Icon" is the culprit.
Problem is I can't get on the Internet like it is to fix anything. I found an old "Netrunner" program on disk that today allowed me to install it live and get here for help (it will connect to Internet).

I think if I can get the package "gnome Network Manager 0.9.8.8.0" installed it will fix the problem but I don't know how to do it from another live linux version. I thought the backup was an option till I realized the backup files are off line, so thats out!
Can someone please help? I could do it from the command line if someone could lay it out for me because I don't know anything basically about the command line. I this happened to a lot of people maybe you guys already know how to fix the problem I hope.

If no one knowsa fix, please give me some options, if you can think of any.

Lola

Last edited by Lola Kews; 05-25-2016 at 06:37 PM. Reason: trying to make more sense.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
Lola Kews

Original Poster
I just read a post at the top of the page about making sure you are running a supported version of linux.

I just wanted to add that I have always upgraded Ubuntu as soon as the updates come out. Actually I believe it was accepting an update that caused my problems.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120
Looks like Ubuntu screwed up big-time with this. I see it first reported in January for those that had the "proposed" repo selected.
Now it looks like they've released it generally, still broken.

Seems you should be able to bring the interface up manually. Are you using a cable, or wireless ?. Do you have a Ubuntu install CD/USB ?.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141
If you are using wireless, try using a cable for testing purposes. With luck, maybe only one interface is borked.

Also, what is the output of

Code:
cat /etc/network/interfaces 
ip address

Old 05-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #5
Lola Kews

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
Looks like Ubuntu screwed up big-time with this. I see it first reported in January for those that had the "proposed" repo selected.
Now it looks like they've released it generally, still broken.

Seems you should be able to bring the interface up manually. Are you using a cable, or wireless ?. Do you have a Ubuntu install CD/USB ?.
Thanks for the reply, but no I can't manually either, you can't write/type anything into the spaces.

I only have one cd/dvd drive and found out the hard way this afternoon that you can't download a new version and write it into your disk drive without taking out the "live" drive of Netrunner I was using to get there in the first place.
So, any one interested in downloading ubuntu 14.04 64k version and burning it to a disk for me, I would be glad to pay you, not kidding, I don't seem to have a way out of this mess?

syg00, now you have me worried that the new version may be carryig the same problem, however anything is better then MS. They (Ubunyu) did something like this once before some years ago with graphics drivers and wouldn't acknowledge a fix or anything I got so frustrated I bought a new graphics card instead od fiddling with them. They have some really good products but it seems they don't exactly stay on top of things like they should.

FrankBell, I'm not running a wireless system, Ethernet from the router/modem to the computer then a DSL phone line, but thank you for responding to my post.

Your other question: cat /etc/network/interfaces
ip address Is that siomething you put in at the command line?

Last edited by Lola Kews; 05-25-2016 at 10:07 PM.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #6
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120
Boot the system having trouble, open a terminal and try this to see if your internet comes back - not sure if you need sudo, probably do with Ubuntu
Code:
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0 &

Old 05-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Lola Kews

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
Boot the system having trouble, open a terminal and try this to see if your internet comes back - not sure if you need sudo, probably do with Ubuntu
Code:
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0 &
If I open up a terminal and type sudo and type the above EXACTLY, how do I exit the terminal? Do I just type Exit and send? I'm terminal stupid !

I have a 2 TB hard drive so I'm thinking about installing this Netrunner program and trying to work from it, but it's an OLD version of netrunner so I don't know if I can get it loaded or it locks up everything.
Hopefully I'll be able to get back here and let you know how things went. If things go bad, thanks for your help.

Last edited by Lola Kews; 05-26-2016 at 02:57 PM.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624
Hehehe terminal stupid.

No you're not!

If your terminal command or commands are done and you wish to exit terminal then a common way to exit would be to type in the word exit and press the enter/return key.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #9
Lola Kews

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
Hehehe terminal stupid.

No you're not!

If your terminal command or commands are done and you wish to exit terminal then a common way to exit would be to type in the word exit and press the enter/return key.
Thanks jefro, I have anotherer quick question.

If I buy Ubuntu 14.04 on disk (ebay) will it install the network manager BEFORE it tries to access the Internet to complete the downloading or will it see the network manageris installed (but broke) and leave it alone, did this make sense to you ?

Old 05-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #10
Lola Kews

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
Hehehe terminal stupid.

No you're not!

Thanks jefro, I have anotherer quick question.

If I buy Ubuntu 14.04 on disk (ebay) will it install the network manager BEFORE it tries to access the Internet to complete the downloading or will it see the network manageris installed (but broke) and leave it alone, did this make sense to you ?