LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
CVAlkan

Distribution: Ubuntu & Mint LTS, Manjaro Rolling; Android

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Ubuntu on 10.1" Samsung Galaxy Tab4 Nook

Has anyone attempted to install a recent Ubuntu flavor on a 10.1" Samsung Galaxy Tab4 Nook edition.

I've read about older attempts on older devices and so forth, but none appeared to be that relevant.

I've been reading nice things about the "convergence" and the new Ubuntu tablets, but none of these are apparently for sale in the U.S. (please correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm becoming increasingly annoyed with how google has locked down Android and won't let me uninstall apps that I don't want, will never want, and require updating every week or so; to make matters worse, these seem to take priority over whatever internet activity I'm attempting to accomplish at the time.

Thanks for any experiences or even thoughts ...

Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android

Rep: Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321
I believe the way to go is Cyanogenmod if you have cpu & memory, or one of the other mods for computationally challenged devices. You can install apps from the play store.
You cannot uninstall apps in Android, but you can uninstall updates & disable them, which stops them updating.
Make sure you have whatever you need from your tablet experience on the OS you install, and remember, a tablet is not a pc. Flash is often handled well in Android - better sometimes than linux on PC. Look at the Youtube & Vimeo apps. Java likewise.
You will have to make up your own mind about google. Like them or loathe them, it's work to avoid them when you use their OS.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
CVAlkan

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments ...

I actually installed the Cyanogen mod on my original Nook Color for my youngest grandson to use - I put on some games and so forth. To tell the truth, though, I wasn't all that impressed; it seemed as though it didn't offer anything other than what the Nook already offered.

My primary aim is the new "converged" Ubuntu, which (supposedly) switches to a full version of Ubuntu when it detects that you've attached it to a monitor and keyboard. I know it's not available in the U.S., and so far as I can see, it's only available in Spain and the U.K., and it isn't all that clear if the term "U.K" in that context includes Ireland as well, since it apparently isn't available in Canada (just north of where I am) or Australia.

I'm really just exploring and (hopefully) experimenting. I started with computers before the Apple or IBM PC & its clones existed, vividly remember soldering extra memory chips on my Tandy machine to get it up to 64k, and so forth, but am still baffled by how much there is left to learn and how each step forward manages to also ignore lessons from the past ...

Old 05-25-2016, 01:47 AM   #4
business_kid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321
I was in electronics hardware and now have gone full circle from avid computer user & IT Manager of my own business to retirement and lately being an invalid, which I hope is only a temporary inconvenience.

Cyanogenmod offers a couple of things: All safety vulnerabilities are rapidly patched - that is the big one. The features are usually improved, snooping is less, and you have root and adb, meaning you can connect via SSH & WiFi, or adb & USB, and link in to your PC. There is also a'fix permissions' script that sorts a lot of nonsense that Google does.
My tablet is a Google/HTC Nexus 9, (Primarily for an E-Reader, and the JW Library app, a personal thing). I also have a Samsung Note 2 smartphone, from my business days. Both run Android because I wasn't prepared for the pain of a reinstall. Next phone will be more moddable, as the Nexus is. But I'm not going to undertake that with one arm paralysed (I had a stroke).

Old 05-25-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
CVAlkan

Original Poster
What are the protocols for taking this conversation off the forum, as I have a number of questions that would most likely be considered "off-topic"?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:02 AM   #6
business_kid
LQ Guru

I have replied to this privately.

Tags
samsung, tablet, ubuntu 16.04