LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News
User Name
Password
Linux - News This forum is for original Linux News. If you'd like to write content for LQ, feel free to contact us.
All threads in the forum need to be approved before they will appear.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
gsecraifdeveloper
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Announcing a file splitter – gsecraif

Don't panic it is free and open source.

Why another file splitter? Because of the envisaged use:

You wish to store a file in a cloud / or other third party facility. Two problems relate to security. One is security in the sense of availability – even the biggest and best have glitches sometimes; perhaps when you most need to access the file. The second problem is privacy.

A solution to the first problem could be to store your file on two or more systems, but that could double the cost and “double” the second problem. The obvious solution to the second problem is encryption, but there is an added difficulty when storing in the cloud or with a third party. Someone could keep a backup of your file indefinitely. It is possible for someone to have unlimited time to compromise the encryption, or wait for a vulnerability to be discovered (remember Heartbleed?).

There is no panacea for this, but – split a file using the RAID 5 (XOR) approach and store the components in three or more places; if any component becomes unavailable you can still get your file (and you have the RAID 5 economics). Anticipating that the file is to be split, as it is read “shuffle“ the bits of two or more bytes at a time; each byte in a component file will contain bits from the original, but none of the component bytes will correspond to bytes in the original. The components only contain a portion of the bits from the original and that will never change. This is what gsecraif does. The paranoid can use encryption before and after splitting.

If you think this may be of interest to you, take a look at http://www.gsecraif.org.

Download http://www.gsecraif.org/download.html

The code is alpha code now because it has not been widely tested, but it works for me. Let me know about any bugs you find and I will try to fix them.

I hope you find this useful.
Timothy Evans
(gsecraifdeveloper)