LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
cutie
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Q:RedHatCertExamAdvice

Ok you Genius': Which/what book/site/dvd/ is best to prepare for Red Hat Cert exam? My friend has no idea & I am just trying' to help.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
T3RM1NVT0R

Distribution: Linux Mint, SLES, CentOS, Red Hat

Rep: Reputation: 477Reputation: 477Reputation: 477Reputation: 477Reputation: 477
Welcome to LQ!!!

Are you sure it is your friend who needs advice not you? No offence and sarcasm intended. The reason I asked because if it is your friend then you should ask him to join the community too. It will not only help him to get advice on certification but he can discuss about other topics related to Linux.

Anyways, coming back to your query, you have not mentioned the exam he is preparing for so I am assuming it is about RHCSA as that is the entry level exam. RHCSA is now on RHEL 7 which is in the market from quite a while but still not many books are there. I would suggest to have a look at the following RHEL 7 guide: https://access.redhat.com/documentat...uide-en-US.pdf

Apart from this he has to make sure that he has hands on experience either on job or from his test environment. Would like to mention that RHEL 7 is not free, however, he can go with CentOS 7 which is rebuild of RHEL 7 and is absolutely free. Whatever works on RHEL 7 works on CentOS 7 as well.

It will be good idea to have a look at exam objectives here

If he is planning for self study then going through RHEL 7 administration guide, setting up test lab using CentOS 7 and going through objectives will help. If he has got experience on RHEL 7 then it will be an add on. If he has not got experience and in doubt then I would suggest going for RHEL 7 official training by Red Hat. Training is quite costly and paying money for training for entry level exam hurts. However, directly appearing in exam and not doing well in that will be a double blow.

So, if he is sure about his self learning skills then there is no point going for training, he can directly go for the exam. This is a choice he has to make.

Last edited by T3RM1NVT0R; 03-28-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #3
John VV
LQ Muse

Rep: Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651
if you are studying for redhat's test
then buy a redhat license to rhel7.1

CentOS 7 is free but the repos for RHEL and CentOS are set up rather differently
things that are by default in Cent might need a second license from redhat for RHEL

and buy the redhat study guides

this is no different than a collage course

you can do it for FREE
but buying the books would be a good idea