LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
AndeAnderson

Distribution: Debian (maybe)

Rep: Reputation: 30
Question Unable to see Network Windows 7 Computer or Debian System

It has been a while. I took the plunge to upgrade my Linux Box with Debian KDE 7.7.0 today. I am unable to see this new Linux on my Network. Even after setting the SMB to allow file sharing. And, it can only see my old Vista System. From what I can see it has the Network User Group as "WorkGroup". I use "Work" only on my network. How do I change this in Debian?

I just found a discussion for this on: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=108078. It appears to be a built-in problem with KDE not installing the packages needed to provide Samba Shares to work.

I will just do a Basic Debian Install and install the packages needed. So much for the All-In-One Installations of Debian Flavors.:-(

Last edited by AndeAnderson; 01-03-2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Found information.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136Reputation: 6136
KDE has nothing to do with Samba, though some GUIs do provide tools for configuring Samba sharing. I think GUI tools are what that thread is referring to.

Not every distro includes Samba server with a base install, though almost all include Samba client. It's been so long since I did a Debian install, I can't remember about Debian.

Did you check that the samba server is installed and running?

Code:
$ ps -A | grep smbd
 1125 ?        00:00:11 smbd
 1143 ?        00:00:02 smbd
Did you verify that the incoming TCP and UDP ports are open to calls?

Tags
networking, shares, windows 7