LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Lola Kews

Rep: Reputation: 38
Question Why doesn't Ubuntu use a Firewall for security?

The subject line says it all. I've been running Ubuntu 12.04 as it was downloaded. There was never any mention of a Firewall.
How is security affected by this?

Old 12-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
gor0

Distribution: quad BOOT!

Rep: Reputation: 65
Linux don't need Anti-virus or Firewall !!!

anyway...

Code:
# aptitude install gufw
UFW is installed by default in Ubuntu but it is command line and disabled by default

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Captain Pinkeye

Rep: Reputation: 98
The default Ubuntu installation has no ports open, so there is nothing a firewall would actually protect.

Anyway, a firewall (iptables) is a part of the kernel itself and such it is a part of every linux installation. What you probably have in mind is some iptables frontend. Ubuntu seems to use ufw:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW.

Last edited by Captain Pinkeye; 12-12-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623
Linux is subject to attack like any other OS.

Yes, Ubuntu is not delivered in the most secure manner. At one time not long ago almost every linux distro came open by design. They have been getting more and more secure but at a cost to simple use.

One can get a security minded distro. The main issue is that Linux is a combination of thousands of parts. Each part may have holes. The more parts (apps) you put in the more holes you expose. Hackers get into most stock OS's in short order in annual games.

Every week or day we see security patches. There is a reason the patch exists.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
albinard

Distribution: Xubuntu Core

Rep: Reputation: 59
Easy check up and fix:
Open a terminal and type
Code:
sudo ufw status
If it says Firewall is active and enabled on system startup, you're in business

If it says inactive, type
Code:
sudo ufw enable
and it will respond with the active and enabled note.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623
Security is a set of active and passive tools. All together they are termed best practices. The more you know and the more you use the more likely your data will remain secure.

Assume that any data connected to internet will be subject to attack.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
mark_alfred

Distribution: Ubuntu Linux 16.04, Debian 10, LineageOS 14.1

Rep: Reputation: 210Reputation: 210Reputation: 210
ufw (uncomplicated firewall) is likely the best to use. To enable it, type the following in the command line:

Code:
sudo ufw enable
More details on it can be found here.

After enabling ufw, it's good to check it via Gibson's Shields Up port scan. If it's all stealth, then you've got a firewall up.

Last edited by mark_alfred; 12-14-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_alfred View Post
After enabling ufw, it's good to check it via Gibson's Shields Up port scan. If it's all stealth, then you've got a firewall up.
Since the previous millennium "stealth" isn't a must have any more: it only means you won't participate in networking as it was devised. And apart from the amusing (but rather sensationalist) messages there's another reason not to rely on "Shields Up": if you're behind a proxy or a router you'll be testing that instead of the target machine itself. One way to combat that would be to test from another machine inside the LAN or temporarily place the target machine in the DMZ (if your router has the functionality) if you don't mind exposing it temporarily.

*And indeed, "security" is more than running a firewall...

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
JimKyle

Distribution: Xubuntu 16.04 LTS

Rep: Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_alfred View Post
While I still run my systems in "stealth" mode simply because I'm too lazy to make all the changes I would need, the only actual difference between "DROP" and "REJECT" (DROP being stealth while REJECT replies "go away") is that a DROP response means the bad guy can keep trying after a timeout delay, while REJECT tells him to shut up and bother someone else.

And because I'm too lazy to switch things, I sometimes find my system appearing to freeze while it's tied up in continuing dialog with would-be invaders. It's almost a self-induced DDOS situation, in fact.

Now that I think about it, perhaps it's time for me to make the switch...

And of course it's not true that Ubuntu has no firewall -- all current Linux kernels have the "iptables" firewall built in. It's just that no app to configure it is presented by default! Using "gufw" can cure that if you're bothered by its absence.

Last edited by JimKyle; 12-21-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
Ser Olmy

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKyle View Post
While I still run my systems in "stealth" mode simply because I'm too lazy to make all the changes I would need, the only actual difference between "DROP" and "REJECT" (DROP being stealth while REJECT replies "go away") is that a DROP response means the bad guy can keep trying after a timeout delay, while REJECT tells him to shut up and bother someone else.
More like DROP gives him no useful information, while REJECT tells him "yes, I'm here, but the service you tried to access doesn't exist (but others may)." In practice, it makes very little difference which one you use. Port scanners stopped relying on "unreachable" errors or ping responses a long time ago.

DROP still ensures you're not fooled into participating in a reflection/amplification attack against a third party, though.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
JimKyle

Distribution: Xubuntu 16.04 LTS

Rep: Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Olmy View Post
DROP still ensures you're not fooled into participating in a reflection/amplification attack against a third party, though.
Which is, to me, a fully adequate reason to leave my setup as-is with DROP. I can accept the occasional pseudo-DOS it sometimes creates as the price for protecting against becoming a participant in an attack upon someone else!

You're quite correct, of course, about the small difference in information provided to a scanner. Since I must leave Port 21 open, for business reasons, in my case DROP provides no change in the amount of information revealed so it never occurs to me to mention that fact. Still, I like the point you make!

Last edited by JimKyle; 12-21-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: To amplify my response.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
sobeiski
LQ Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Since the previous millennium "stealth" isn't a must have any more: it only means you won't participate in networking as it was devised. And apart from the amusing (but rather sensationalist) messages there's another reason not to rely on "Shields Up": if you're behind a proxy or a router you'll be testing that instead of the target machine itself. One way to combat that would be to test from another machine inside the LAN or temporarily place the target machine in the DMZ (if your router has the functionality) if you don't mind exposing it temporarily.

*And indeed, "security" is more than running a firewall...

Old 01-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #13
ivtec

Distribution: Debian-wheezy,,Ubuntu 12.4lts

Hi guys let me just give my opinion on this,i don't think there are anybody interested on infecting Linux, because is a free OPS and who ever writes virus and malware are more interested on Bill Gates the money angry.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivtec View Post
Hi guys let me just give my opinion on this,i don't think there are anybody interested on infecting Linux, because
While you're entitled to it that's just what it is: your uninformed opinion. Plus it doesn't contribute anything valuable to this particular thread or topic. Me, I'm way more interested in troubleshooting and diagnosing tangible problems and where possible preventing them. Fortunately that nicely coincides with what we have been doing here for the past decade and a half on LQ.