LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
dinodesilva
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian Stable & Testing

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question What does this mean?

https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

Does this mean that the next release (Jessie) is less buggier than the current stable (Wheezy)?!?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
widget

Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE

Rep: Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497
No it does not mean that Jessie is less buggy, or morebuggy for that matter, than any other Debian version.

What it means is that is the number of release critical bugs in Stable and testing.

Release critical bugs will cause the OS to not boot.

I have Wheezy and Jessie on this box along with Squeeze and Sid. They all boot. They all run pretty well.

Bugs are generally hardware related. With Wheezy any bugs of that severity probably affect only the hardware combo of the person filing the bug. Or one or two other folks. With Jessie it probably affects more hardware combos and more people.

I don't like the comparrison of bugs between versions. Wheezy is Stable and Jessie is testing in this case. These are 2 very different beasts.

Jessie is being built. Wheezy is being maintained. Comparing, for instance, a house built a few years ago and being lived in to a similar house that doesn't have the interior completed for any kind of problem is pretty silly as most people would agree.

So is this comparison and all it can do is cause concern by folks seeing it.

All the information on the chart is actually very interesting. As a practical matter though it is only of interest and has very little value other than that for the mythical average user.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
dinodesilva
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks, widget, for the very detailed answer. Would you be able to answer the following questions as well? Thanks for your time.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...es-4175519995/

Old 10-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
hitest
Guru

Distribution: Void, Debian, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746
Jessie is currently designated as testing so security updates are not regularly released during this period of active development. When Jessie becomes the next stable release it will get security updates.
I'm very happy with the stability, security of Wheezy.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
dinodesilva
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I am a very happy user of Wheezy too. Wheezy is my main OS. With the kernel 3.16 and a couple of other apps installed from backports it's fantastic. However moving to a new stable release with latest apps would be exiting, and that's why I wanted to know if we would be able to find a stable and secure system in Jessie/Testing when they freez it on 5th November even though it might not be as stable and secure as the current stable. Thanks for your reply.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
evo2
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mostly Debian and CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705
Hi,

there seems to be some confusion here. RC, or release critical bugs are by definition bugs that do/would prevent a release. At release time jessie will have 0 RC bugs, just as wheezy did. This can be done by fixing the bugs, dropping the packages that contain the bugs or via reclassification of the bugs.

The main purpose of that plot is to provide some sort of indication of how much work needs to be done before release.

Evo2.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
evo2
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mostly Debian and CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodesilva View Post
I wanted to know if we would be able to find a stable and secure system in Jessie/Testing when they freez it on 5th November even though it might not be as stable and secure as the current stable.
No, jessie will not be "stable" when it is frozen. The freeze means that the package versions will not change from that point on - only patches to fix bugs will be permitted. Then once the number of RC bugs is 0 jessie will be "stable" and will be released.

Evo2.

Tags
jessie, stable, testing, wheezy