LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
imarriedyoung
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Laptop Lid Close -- Customize Locker

So a few months ago I loaded up Ubuntu onto my laptop to give it a whirl but found myself somewhat limited by Unity (especially in terms of performance for a 4GB RAM machine.) I switched over to my all-time fave, Openbox, and started setting everything up; I kept lightdm, I started using xfce4-power-manager, tint2, et. al. I've gotten everything relatively set up the way I want it but I can't seem to customize what happens when I close the lid of my laptop. I have tried writing custom scripts for acpid and systemd to be told that Ubuntu uses Upstart. I have yet to write a script for that as I'm hoping there's an even simpler way via, say, xfce4-power-manager.

tl;dr:
General question: How can I customize my lid closing action in a simple and persistent way?

Specific question: Does xfce4-power-manager allow changing the specified locker (I'm hoping to use dm-tool lock) when the option "lock screen when lid is closed" option is selected?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by imarriedyoung; 09-15-2014 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes

Old 09-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
Pjotr1950
LQ Newbie

lock screen when lid is closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarriedyoung View Post
found myself somewhat limited by Unity (especially in terms of performance for a 4GB RAM machine.)

tl;dr:
General question: How can I customize my lid closing action in a simple and persistent way?

Specific question: Does xfce4-power-manager allow changing the specified locker (I'm hoping to use dm-tool lock) when the option "lock screen when lid is closed" option is selected?

Thanks in advance!
I use Gnome-session-fallback in Ubuntu as I was used to the "old-style-ubuntu-with-two-panes". On my laptop I just wanted the system to shut down and power off when the lid is closed to avoid draining the battery... As Ubuntu did not have that setting available by default, I used the Gnome-Tweak-Tool to set the lid behaviour as well as the power button behaviour to get what I wanted. The actions to choose from in this tool are Blank, Hibernate, Interactive, Nothing, Shutdown and Suspend. I don't know if this will work in Openbox or how to script this...

Old 09-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
imarriedyoung
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hmm, yeah, xfce4-power-manager was defaulting to gdm, but I wasn't too keen on using it. I wanted to try stick with lightdm for locking the screen when the lid closed.

Tags
laptop, power management