LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News
User Name
Password
Linux - News This forum is for original Linux News. If you'd like to write content for LQ, feel free to contact us.
All threads in the forum need to be approved before they will appear.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080
Linux Founder Linus Torvalds 'Still Wants the Desktop'

During a LinuxCon panel discussion, Linus Torvalds provides insight into what works and what doesn't with Linux in 2014.

Quote:
The Linux faithful gathered today at LinuxCon to hear core Linux developers, especially Linus Torvalds—and the audience wasn't disappointed. In a keynote panel session, Torvalds spoke of his hopes and the challenges for Linux in 2014.

Linux kernel developer Greg Kroah-Hartman moderated the discussion and commented that Linux already runs everywhere. He asked Torvalds where he thinks Linux should go next.

"I still want the desktop," Torvalds said as the audience erupted into boisterous applause.

The challenge on the desktop is not a kernel problem, Torvalds said. "It's a whole infrastructure problem. I think we'll get there one day."

Torvalds also discussed the issue of kernel testing overall and noted that testing drivers on real hardware is problematic. He sees a need to encourage the Linux user community to be part of testing recent kernels. "That's the only way we find the strange hardware quirks," he said. "Most developers have something modern, and the rest the rest of the world has older stuff."

The issue of kernel code bloat was also addressed as Linux is now being run in small-form-factor embedded devices.

Torvalds said he'd love for Linux to shrink in size "We've been bloating the kernel over the last 20 years, but hardware has grown faster," he said.
More at eWeek

What do you think about Linus' comments?

--jeremy

Old 08-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
metaschima

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492
"I still want the desktop", what an unusual comment. As if Linus was thinking about not ? or others were ? What is going on ? Have I been ignoring something important ?

Desktop as in not-mobile device ? Desktop as in Desktop environment ? Both ?

Any hints ?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: antiX 23, MX 23

Rep: Reputation: 3470Reputation: 3470Reputation: 3470Reputation: 3470Reputation: 3470Reputation: 3470Reputation: 3470Reputation: 3470Reputation: 3470Reputation: 3470Reputation: 3470
I am in tune with what he has to say about

Quote:
Torvalds also discussed the issue of kernel testing overall and noted that testing drivers on real hardware is problematic. He sees a need to encourage the Linux user community to be part of testing recent kernels. "That's the only way we find the strange hardware quirks," he said. "Most developers have something modern, and the rest the rest of the world has older stuff."
On the distro teams I belong to. I am the guinea pig kernel tester, and I also grab kernels from other developers and test on everything from IBM A22M laptops with floppy drives to Emachine single core AMD , ati graphics, to all kinds of netbooks I also have in my possession.

I consider user kernel testing a integral part of a a distro going from alpha to a release version.
More users should consider having the same mindset, if not having the funds to donate to a Linux project.

It is not that hard to test a new kernel and not that hard to un-install a testing kernel for any developer.
It is also not that hard to give intelligent feedback also. The person who configured the kernel will tell you
how to do this and you might learn something new in the process. Win, Win, as far as I see it.

I am kinda surprised he noticed and mentioned this,

Every little bit helps. No?
It seems to me the least one can do to help.
Not a rocket scientist here. Just a Scooter Tramp Biker with a GED.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
ninja master

Distribution: funtoo/gentoo amd64 xwrt

Rep: Reputation: 31
linus needs to make an opt in program that allows kernel versions, configs, lspci, lsusb, dmesg etc to be shipped back to source for problems. it would only require a booting kernel & net drivers, and could persist so completely dorked up kernel statistics can be mailed home when a solvent functional kernels wound together & booted. i have hardware that i know doesn't work under 3.16.0, id love for the hive mind to be able to work on this hardware that they may or may not have.