LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
lapishater276

Distribution: Crunchbang, Arch Linux ARM, Xubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
can i write a shell script in /etc/init.d that will run a python script?

What i want to do is write a script to put in the /etc/init.d folder that will run. a python script. I cannot figure out how i would put pyhon commands in the skeleton provided. If someone could write a script that would work, it would be much appreciated

Old 06-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
MensaWater
LQ Guru

Distribution: Redhat (RHEL), CentOS, Fedora, CoreOS, Debian, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Solaris, SCO

Rep: Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669
The skeleton provide is a shell script but has key elements that need to be there understood by the startup routines. Your python script would not be.

However, you could simply tell the start, stop, status etc... sections of that skeleton to call your python script(s) (with the appropriate flags if any).

You can get the hplip init script online to find an example of one that contains calls to .py files. The Postgresql init script calls the pg_ctl binary so that would be an example of that. I don't have Debian but I suspect if you look through existing files you'll find where they are calling other things such as python, perl, binaries etc....

Note that /etc/init.d is just where the base script lives - you have to make sure you put links in the run level directories (e.g. /etc/rc2.d, /etc/rc3.d etc...).

Note that just like with cron jobs you have to make sure all environment variables you need are in the script itself or sourced by it as it will NOT automatically have the same environment variables it would inherit from a logged in shell session.