LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
daiver

Distribution: PCLinuxOS

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Toshiba M65 not working with Linux [ Video related ]

Hello all. I'm having SEVERE trouble getting Linux up and running on a Toshiba M65, specifically the M65-SP811.

I've tried Kubuntu, Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS LiveCds without success. I *believe* that the problem lies within the screen recognition. For some reason, Linux doesn't seem to detect it. The LiveCD will boot up OK, and after a little tweaking with xorg I can start a GUI using a low resolution [1024 x 768 in (K)ubuntu and 800 x 600 in PCLOS] and the vesa drivers. There really is no way to get this going. I've tried the drivers from ATI, fiddling around with settings, etc. NOTHING seems to work and at this point I'm very frustrated.

The kind people at PCLOS's forum tried helping me out, but we got nowhere. This is the thread if you're interested in seeing the development of the problem: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=730.0 (Actual testing and troubleshooting begins in page 4). The (K)ubuntu community just ignored my thread or had no clue on how to help me out.

I called up Toshiba to figure out who makes their screens for this laptop but that information "is not available". So much for using PCLOS's Control Center to select the correct flat screen.

This laptop sports an ATI Mobility Radeon x600 with 128MB and a native 1440 x 900 display on a 17" widescreen, which I've never achieved on it using Linux.

I would really appreciate help on this issue as I've tried practically everything and nothing works. I'm out of options and on my knees for new suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
daiver

Original Poster
Someone? Anyone?

Old 02-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
daiver

Original Poster
This has been solved. The solution is in my guide for Linux on the M65. Check it out at www.aeroforo.com/linux