LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora > Fedora - Installation
User Name
Password
Fedora - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Fedora.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2006, 03:24 AM   #1
lexx11
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Installation error "error informing kernal about modifications..."

I successfully created a 5GB partition (I want to keep Windows on the other partition) and I attempt to install the standard personal desktop package. When it finally tries to install, I get the message:

Error informing the kernal about modifications to partition /dev/sda3 - device or resource busy. This means Linux won't know about any changes you made to /dev/sda3 until you reboot--you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.

I have also tried setting up the partitions manually. I make a 4gb root as a primary partition, then a swap partition (900mb) and a /boot partition (100mb). Same results.

Some system info:
Dell Inspiron 6000
Pentium M 1.73gHz
1gb ram
ati radeon x300 video card

The only thing I do that might be out of the ordinary is on the first menu when I boot from the DVD, I type "linux vga=771" rather than just "linux", as this fixes the screen flicker I was getting before (I have no idea what it does, just that someone told me to do it and it seems to work).

Please let me know if there's any other information that might be helpful. One thing to note is that I've never used Linux before and don't know very well what I am doing.

Thanks a lot for any advice you can offer.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
The MJ

Rep: Reputation: 15
Yeah, as a matter of fact this happened to my laptop too, but right after that error, my laptop's cd-rom drive committed suicide.