LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
mr_coffee

Distribution: Mandriva Power Pack 2006

Rep: Reputation: 15
Converting DVD-9 to DVD-5 software, Use to use DVD2one and DVDdecryptor

Hello everyone, I still don't have Linux installed yet, waiting for the download to get done but i do alot of ripping/encoding. Well when I would get a DVD I bought, legally. *cough* And i wanted a back up copy, so I would use DVD Decrypter to rip the CD to my harddrive which it would be a Dual Layer DVD usually if its a new DVD (DVD-9) for me to fit it onto a standard DVD (DVD-5) Single layer, i would use DVD2one which would nicely just delete all the fancey menu's and such, and let you choose what you wanted without loosing any quality. This would make it fit onto a DVD and put it in Video_TS file structure so it will play on a standard dvd player without any problems. IS there any kind of software out there for Linux that will do the same thing? Then I burn the output files with TMPGEnc DVD Author Thanks!!

WHOOPS i didn't know there was a Software Forum...Can the moderator please delete this post? thank you i'm going to move it to that forum~

Last edited by mr_coffee; 01-05-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
imitheos

Rep: Reputation: 141Reputation: 141
In order to rip the dvd there are many programs that use libdvdread (dvd decrypter
replacement).
Some of them are: vobcopy,dvdbackup.

In order to transcode the dvd (shrink it) there are some scripts that use transcode/mplayer
to shrink the movie but they don't support the dvd menus.
These are lxdvdrip ldvd9to5 and others.

There is also a program called k9copy which supports dvd menus and lets choose whatever
languages,subtitles you want. It has more features than dvd2one. It is pretty much like
dvdshrink.

I guess k9copy is what you want.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
mr_coffee

Distribution: Mandriva Power Pack 2006

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Awesome thanks!

Old 01-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
Boow

Distribution: Slackware 10.2

Rep: Reputation: 32