LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
stitchman

Distribution: Slackware 13.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question slackware 10.2 & wifi - newb

Hello everyone, i am brand new here and am taking the plunge into slackware from windows. ive used linux *sparingly* before and have a basic grasp of commands and im not afraid of command lines. heres my problem...

i just downloaded 10.2 slackware today and installed it on an old computer i have here in my office. i bought a wifi network card and i researched it enough to know that it does work in linux with some effort. i installed the card and the driver/modules (not sure what there called) and i managed to get linux to recognize the card and when i check my router it shows that the card is connected to the router.

the problem is, is if i try to ping any other computers on the network or the internet it says

connect: Network is unreachable

now when i try the iwconfig command it says that theres a wireless card on ra0 which is weird cause it probably has to be on eth0 or something similar, and i dont know how to get it to change that. ive search all over the forum here and googled for literally hours and hours today trying to get online. i am sure its some simple file i have to edit but since i have very very little linux experience i dont know what to change. heres the details of what im running and what ive set up in case it helps:

slackware 10.2 *stock*

RT2500 module for wireless card (i tried the command to see if the module is loaded and it is)

Zonet 802.11g pci lan adapter which the RT2500 chipset

when i run the RaConfig2500 program in fluxbox the program detects my router, i have a good signal strength, and things of that nature. in iwconfig i have a good signal strength and such like that. i turned wep OFF just to be sure that wasnt the problem and it didnt help. i ran netconfig 2 dozen times to no avail. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #2
rkelsen

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 2535Reputation: 2535Reputation: 2535Reputation: 2535Reputation: 2535Reputation: 2535Reputation: 2535Reputation: 2535Reputation: 2535Reputation: 2535Reputation: 2535
Please post the output of 'ifconfig' and 'iwconfig'

Old 12-01-2005, 11:00 PM   #3
stitchman

Original Poster
ah! i checked the post right under this one and someone said to try

dhcpcd eth0 -d

so i tried

dhcpcd ra0 -d

and it works now!! now, what exactly does dhcpcd ra0 -d do?

EDIT

nevermind, it starts the DHCP stuff i checked the man page, sorry for taking up posting room guys

Last edited by stitchman; 12-01-2005 at 11:04 PM.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:20 AM   #4
mjjzf

Distribution: Slackware 14.1

Rep: Reputation: 39
Actually, it is a very good thing to see a beginner who tries and who figures things out with a minimum of assistance.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:25 AM   #5
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105
Netconfig in Slackware 10.2 will only add configurion for an "eth0" device. If yours is other than an eth0 (like ra0) then you will have to do some hand editing to configure your box if you do not want to type "dhcpcd -d ra0" each time.
open
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
in an editor (vi comes to mind) and change your entries that netconfig put there. My guess is that you only need to add the first line:
Code:

# Config information for ra0:
IFNAME[0]="ra0"
IPADDR[0]=""
NETMASK[0]=""
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""
FYI, the [0] [1] [2] etc... parameters each configure a single network card. You can have multiple cards in your box, if so then use the [0] parameters for one card and the [1] entries for the other one. Order does not matter. If the IFNAME[] parameter is not present, then Slackware assumes you're configuring an eth? interface. I.e. the [0] entries are for eth0, the [1] entries are for eth1 etc... just like the comments in that file will tell you.

Eric

Old 12-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
tw001_tw

Distribution: kubuntu-current

Rep: Reputation: 31
OSourceDiplomat said:
Code:
Actually, it is a very good thing to see a beginner who tries and who 
figures things out with a minimum of assistance.
YES! Agreed..
welcome stitchman.

-tw

Old 12-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
stitchman

Original Poster
alien bob:

thank you, i actually saw that in another post and tried it last night and it works beautifully. thanks for reposting it here though.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #8
stitchman

Original Poster
Question Diffrent topic...

Hello again, everything is working great now, i upgraded firefox to 1.5 manually without any scripts or anything and i think i am in love with slackware. next im going to try upgrading the kernel, but i dont know if that will cancel out the wifi module i installed (would it?) my real question is this:

about 5 years ago an irc buddy who had linux told me about this service that he used. it consisted of his linux using a script on startup that contacted a server online and told it his ip address so that it would forward any traffic going to (his_accountname).(the_service_server).com to his current ip address. he did this because he was on dial up and so he could access his computer from school even if he didnt know his ip address at the moment. im interested in this because i am on dsl and my ip address changes occasionally and i would like to access my computer at any time just by telnetting to mycomputer.whatevertheservicewas.com does anyone know what im talking about or did i just imagine this in a fever of highschool ircing and mudding on win95?

any help would be appreciated thanks again!

Old 12-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #9
helliax
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 10.2

Rep: Reputation: 0
There's a place called dyndns (I can't post addresses yet, but just add the com and www) that does what you describe.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #10
tw001_tw

Distribution: kubuntu-current

Rep: Reputation: 31
If it is dyndns that your looking for, shilo has a nice tutorial on
how to get it going.

http://shilo.is-a-geek.com/slack/apache19.html

-tw

Old 12-03-2005, 10:55 PM   #11
odevans

Rep: Reputation: 30
I've not used DynDNS, but there's also no-ip.com. They have a linux IP-updating daemon for download (if you have a dynamic IP). All you'd need to do is drop a line into rc.local to start it on boot. They have free and pay services, backup mail-recievers and web pages (if your server/s go down, they'll cache incoming mail and serve webpages). Been using them for a couple of years(ish) and no problems yet.

Cheers,

Owen

Old 12-04-2005, 08:59 AM   #12
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchman
Hello again, everything is working great now, i upgraded firefox to 1.5 manually without any scripts or anything and i think i am in love with slackware. next im going to try upgrading the kernel, but i dont know if that will cancel out the wifi module i installed (would it?) my real question is this:
Be aware that you are probably going to have to recompile the drivers for your wireless card against the new kernel. Also, if you jump to a 2.6.13 or later kernel from an earlier version, the wireless extensions used in the kernel have changed and the Wireless Tools that are in Slackware 10.2 and current don't completely work. You'll need to either compile your own wireless tools version 28 (it is in beta still) or find a Slackware package.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:25 PM   #13
stitchman

Original Poster
all of this was great help thanks again. one more question though

is there any good slackware irc channels to idle in so i can soak up some knowledge? its been a while since ive irc'ed and my knowledge of good networks has dwindled. any particular network and channel would be very helpful. thanks again