LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
Fede.Lt
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE 9.3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy SuSE 9.3 - MP3 only w/Real

Hi guys.

I'm a new Italian linux user.
I'm a SuSE's man.
Inexperienced man, however!!

I can hear my MP3 file only through RealPlayer, do you know why is it possible??
I can't hear any music neither using AmaroK nor Kaffeine or others audio/media players.....
During the configurations AmaroK tells me that it wasn't able to find some WinZUZZ codecs, but it would be able to work properly anyway....
Reading the instruction manual I've found a FAQ about this problem and it says that it is possible I'm using Fedora core o similar distribution in which there are no codecs.
Is it possible???
I'm using SuSE.... I payed 93 euros for it..... why there aren't MP3 codes in it??
Where can I find the codecs I need?

Thx !!!

Last edited by Fede.Lt; 05-15-2005 at 07:30 PM.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #2
johnson_steve

Distribution: Xubuntu 9.10, Gentoo 2.6.27 (AMD64), Darwin 9.0.0 (arm)

Rep: Reputation: 46
all the multimedia stuff in suse 9.3 is compiled without support for mp3 except real player. your can get an update for the kde multimedia package off yast online update to fix this

Old 05-16-2005, 03:35 AM   #3
Fede.Lt
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I suppose it....
...and now the problem is: how can I connect to the web using SuSE instead of WinZUZZ???
But this is the argumentation of another thread I've opened....
Thanks johnson_steve!!
Only a question: why this?? Is it a bug or a choice??
Considering I've payed, why Novell was not able to include in the price the cost of codecs license??

Old 05-16-2005, 03:52 AM   #4
leadazide

Distribution: SuSE 11.0, Ubuntu 7.10

Rep: Reputation: 30
You pay NOT for the product, but for the SUPPORT.
You may be able to contact them and get live phone support. That's what you paid for.

Considering the mp3 codecs: this is evil. I think this is because of the whole software patent rumours in Europe, they're afraid that they can be sued by Fraunhofer if they add the codecs.

However, that's not the problem. Once you're online, go to Yast,
Change installation source, and add the following:

Type: FTP
Server: packman.iu-bremen.de
Directory: suse/9.3

Now you can install a bunch of extra software from within Yast, among those a MP3 encoder/decoder (LAME), a full featured audio/video player (MPlayer) and much more.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
Fede.Lt
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Considering the fact that I've never heard the word "distribution" before last Mont, I've made a lot of progress in my linux acknowledgments...
I taught I've payed not only for the support but for the licenses included in the distribution, too.
Anyway I'm not afraid about that: SuSE distribution goes very well and it's less difficult to "use" for me, compared to a web-downlodable distribution like Debian which I've tried before!!
I'm a novice, you know, and only to have Yast I'was ready to pay the full price of the distribution!!

Last edited by Fede.Lt; 05-16-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #6
feetyouwell

Distribution: Novell Linux Eval (2.6.5)

Rep: Reputation: 30
you should try ubuntu when you get a chance,
I am currently a novell user as well, if wasn't for the fact that i have my machine configured exactly way I want it and it would take me several days to get a new distro to look like that, i would have gone to ubuntu a long time ago
suse is nice, however, the repository is not nearly big enough, and because of all the suse.config stuff, the gui is running quite slowly.
there is a way to update (at least some) of the software with buying the suse distro (red carpet won't work in eval version), use the "software install" on your yast2 panel and add more internet respositories to it (besides cd-rom). Yast2 is alright but not excellent in conflict solving, I was once trying to install mplayer and it told me to delete XFree86 (because the new mplayer uses XORG I think).

Old 05-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
Fede.Lt
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
To tell you the truth, a person which I consider a Guru in linux questions, told me that he tries to install Ubuntu but could not reach a situation of stability in his system..... And I'had so much problems with Debian that my Friend Michele told that only a madman like me could continue to try to install a GNU S.O.!!!
I noticed that in SuSE distribution there are less help o man associated to bash instructions....
And my Guru friend, which is a Debian-man, told me that while Debian gives problems during the installation, other distributions give problems during their usage....
This observation risks to be the truth, maybe....
Anyway at the moment I'm working with linux, and I consider that a first flag in the process that will bring me away from WinZUZZ....

Last edited by Fede.Lt; 05-16-2005 at 03:52 PM.