LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora > Fedora - Installation
User Name
Password
Fedora - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Fedora.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
MajorDownTime
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
RHFL3 Bible DVD install errors

I am new to Linux and I got the Red hat fedora linux 3 bible book and it has a DVD install disk. I am having some problems with the install.

The install starts fine then on just about every "Next" click i get a lot of errors ("Assertion (heads <256 ) at disk_dos.c:486 in function probe_partition_for_geom() failed" and "Assertion ((c*heads+H) * sectors +s ==A) at disk_dos.c:495 failed") then when it gets ready for the final install it craps out and give me a "save errors to disk" option. I have that text file saved and I can add it to this message. OK maybe I can't but I can send it to who ever would like it just leave me a message and an email and ill send it. File is called "anacdump" and it is 728 kb in size.

Thanks to anyone that is willing to take the time to help me with this. I don't want to have wasted all this money for this book

Randy

Last edited by MajorDownTime; 04-18-2005 at 04:50 PM.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
WhatsHisName

Distribution: RHEL, AltimaLinux, Rocky

Rep: Reputation: 46
It has to do with a bug in parted, which creates the disk partitions. Look at this thread for ways to work around the problem:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=304039

When you get an error message, try searching this forum for the error and you will usually find lots of information about it.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
MajorDownTime
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by WhatsHisName
It has to do with a bug in parted, which creates the disk partitions. Look at this thread for ways to work around the problem:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=304039

When you get an error message, try searching this forum for the error and you will usually find lots of information about it.
Ok thanks for the reply. However the "work around" do not help.
Most message I saw say "Yup, mine does that too"
Some say "hit cancel and it will work (I did that just to get to my message that says I can't install)
One says get the update and I did. Two things one i can't copy it to disk in windows files too big. I use rawrite and it says "Attempt to DMA across 64k boundary"
Not sure if it wrote or not but windows now says it needs to be formated so I assume its good.
When it starts I type "linux updates" and when it ask for disk I select "df0"
Then it tells me "Can't mount drive" and I am back to not being able to do anything.

I did expect to knock my shins learning the system but to have a really buggy system that will not even install? I am very frustrated.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
WhatsHisName

Distribution: RHEL, AltimaLinux, Rocky

Rep: Reputation: 46
It sounds like the Anaconda update disk was not properly written, which is somewhat easy to do.

So that you and others can follow the instructions contained in the various threads, let me start at the beginning. What you are doing is downloading an update for the Anaconda installer, which is used on all current RedHat and Fedora distributions. You will write the update to a floppy and then use the floppy during the installation process. This approach has obvious limitations on laptops.

0) If steps 1-3 fail, you may need to boot into linux rescue and delete any partitions that were created during the previous failed installation. This can be done using linux fdisk .

1) Download the update image file from http://people.redhat.com/~katzj/fc3-part-upd.img This is from Bugzilla posting https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=138419 (see comments 2 and 62).

2) Copy the image to a floppy using the instructions at http://rhlinux.redhat.com/anaconda/updatedisks.html

In windows:

2a) Rename the Anaconda update image to something like updates.img, so that the image name conforms to the dos 8.3 naming convention.

2b) To make things simple, copy both the update image and rawrite.exe to C:\. If you do not have rawrite.exe, it can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linu...i386/dosutils/

2c) From Start > Run, start the cmd utility (command line).

2d) From “dos” command line, change to the root directory and call rawrite:

c:
cd \
rawrite

which should give a dialogue like this:

C:\>rawrite
Enter disk image source file name: updates.img
Enter target diskette drive: a:
Please insert a formatted diskette into drive A: and press -ENTER- :

C:\>

The reason for not running rawrite.exe using windows explorer is so that you will be able to see error messages.

3) Start the linux installation process, but at the initial prompt enter:

linux updates

You will be prompted for the update floppy during the installation process.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
MajorDownTime
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by WhatsHisName
It sounds like the Anaconda update disk was not properly written, which is somewhat easy to do.

So that you and others can follow the instructions contained in the various threads, let me start at the beginning. What you are doing is downloading an update for the Anaconda installer, which is used on all current RedHat and Fedora distributions. You will write the update to a floppy and then use the floppy during the installation process. This approach has obvious limitations on laptops.

0) If steps 1-3 fail, you may need to boot into linux rescue and delete any partitions that were created during the previous failed installation. This can be done using linux fdisk .

1) Download the update image file from http://people.redhat.com/~katzj/fc3-part-upd.img This is from Bugzilla posting https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=138419 (see comments 2 and 62).

2) Copy the image to a floppy using the instructions at http://rhlinux.redhat.com/anaconda/updatedisks.html

In windows:

2a) Rename the Anaconda update image to something like updates.img, so that the image name conforms to the dos 8.3 naming convention.

2b) To make things simple, copy both the update image and rawrite.exe to C:\. If you do not have rawrite.exe, it can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linu...i386/dosutils/

2c) From Start > Run, start the cmd utility (command line).

2d) From “dos” command line, change to the root directory and call rawrite:

c:
cd \
rawrite

which should give a dialogue like this:

C:\>rawrite
Enter disk image source file name: updates.img
Enter target diskette drive: a:
Please insert a formatted diskette into drive A: and press -ENTER- :

C:\>

The reason for not running rawrite.exe using windows explorer is so that you will be able to see error messages.

3) Start the linux installation process, but at the initial prompt enter:

linux updates

You will be prompted for the update floppy during the installation process.
thank you for this post.
I have done everything in your list before except one... i was using an old version of rawrite.
With the new version it wrote the disk fine and after that the install went well.
thank you for that link to the newer version of rawrite!! saved me a lot of fustration.
My transmision went on my truck but at least I have linux installed now :P

Old 04-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
uncle-ed
LQ Newbie

parted problem

I am getting the same error using Parted to partition a 19g Maxtor drive .

The computer is a Gateway running XP.

Please let me know if you find anything. I reported the problem to gnu.org.

Thanks
Ed Johnson
uncle-ed@comcast.net