LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
SeBsZ
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Post DISCUSSION: Installing Mandrake 10.1 as a Full Featured Server

This thread is to discuss the article titled: Installing Mandrake 10.1 as a Full Featured Server

Old 04-12-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
anon111

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
First, I'd like to say THANK YOU for writing this article, I know there's alot to apache...but thanks for helping people like myself for getting up and running.

Second I'd like to ask if you or some modding to add how to's on these subjects.....

Creating a public_html folder by default when creating a new user.

Limiting a user to a certain amount of space in public_html

Thats all I can think of for now.....

THANKS AGAIN

Old 04-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
SeBsZ
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hello,

I am glad you liked my how-to.

If you want to automatically create folders and files in a user's home directory when you add him, just put them in the
/etc/skel/ directory. So if you want to automatically create a public_html directory when you add a user, just make a directory /etc/skel/public_html/ and it will be created when you add a user to your system.

For quotas you need to install the quotas package and then change the /etc/fstab file and add usrquota to it. You will definitely be able to find more on this on the web, it's very easy to do.

SeBsZ

Old 05-22-2005, 11:10 AM   #4
BoBByCooL
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubunty 7.04

Hi,

I would first like to thank you for this tutorial. I am a newbe to linux so bear with me here.

I got as far as installing apache and mysql but when I get to installing apache2-mod_php I get some dependency errors.

Here is a screenshot of what I get...

http://users.eastlink.ca/~dentremont1/phpconfig1.jpg

I have tried running urpmi to install the packages that it says it's missing but that does not work. Any ideas?

Just for the record I am using Mandrake 10 Official and not 10.1 but I figured that both would be similar enough that I could get around it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2005, 04:10 AM   #5
Iridesce

Distribution: Mepis 3.3 Rocks / Mandrake 10.0 Official / Windows 98SE / Windows XP

Rep: Reputation: 15
www.sebszhost.com/rc.firewall-2.4 ??

Greetings and thanks for the thread

Looks like a good process - well written with an understanding of the ignorance ( not a bad thing ) and tenacity of us learning linux.

Got past the Dell Dimension 2400 BIOS issue ( update the BIOS to A05
{http://support.dell.com/support/down...leaseid=R70278 } ) and worked my way down the procedure to the iptables section. The links there are no good and a check of sebszhost.com found a message saying he had to close it due to emails and downloads - goes to show what can happen to a good idea ...

I would really like to get through this process as it would be perfect for what I need to create.

If anyone has the config files from sebszhost.com, please post them or email them to me.

OK, as BobbieCool suggested, I just passed on it and continued.

got to installing php, but when I did so, urpmi wouldn't work with a " Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC ... " error - evidently a perl issue caused by the installation of mysql and dependencies.

Oh well, looked good ... am continuing to http://www.linuxhelp.ca/guides/lamp2/ to try their step-by-step

Enjoy,

Michael

Enjoy

Last edited by Iridesce; 05-24-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #6
BoBByCooL
LQ Newbie

I never thought to check the links before I start the tutorial. It's a good thing I did not need those config files as I already have an SMC router and do not need to share my connection through the Linux box.

But it would definitely be a good idea to post the files if someone has them. I have also decided that I am going to use Mandrak 10.1 instead of 10 to see if I can get around the problems I was having.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
BoBByCooL
LQ Newbie

Ok I have another question/concern. I noticed that urpmi installed version 4.3.8 of php. I was wondering if this is safe due to the bugs that were found in earlier versions of php. I would like to upgrade to php 4.3.11 if possible.

I have searched high and low today and I can't seem to find anything simple to do this. When I load rpmdrake all I see is stuff pertaining to php 4.3.8 and when I use urpmi and try to find newer software it says that I have everything already installed.

Any help is appreciated

Old 06-11-2005, 03:49 AM   #8
SeBsZ
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hello all,

I'm glad most of you liked my tutorial.

About the mod_php urpmi problem, I'm not sure. It is saying something about lib_php, but I suppose you tried installing that already. Also, urpmi always takes care of dependencies for me, so I don't know. Please remember that I used Mandrake 10.1 and I started completely from scratch, with only a couple of package groups selected that I mentioned.

irdesce for you mainly the same thing. I formatted my computer, and started the tutorial completely from scratch. Once I finished it, I followed it myself and everything worked fine. I guess these are some of those linux weird things...

BobbyCool, I restored the files on www.sebszhost.com, and you can now view the html version again at www.sebszhost.com/mandraketutorial.html with working links to the 2 files.

Finally, about the PHP version, if you want to use urpmi then you have to accept what urpmi installs. Newer versions of mandrake like 10.1 will use the latest version of PHP at the time the OS was released, at least thats what I think the way is. If you want to install the latest version of PHP, you will have to compile it from source.

SeBsZ

Old 01-15-2006, 05:07 PM   #9
ronatartifact

Distribution: CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 5
Security level

I did not see where you specified the security level.
If you go for "higher security" which is the recommended level for servers, you will have some extra steps when setting up access lists for the services in perms.local and some more stuff that I usually forget until something does not work:-)

Nice document and pretty close for the Mandriva 2006 distribution.