LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
ikataii
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 10.0, Gentoo 2004.3, KnoppMyth R4V5

Rep: Reputation: 0
weird, weird problems with logitech precision USB gamepad

okay, I followed this site pretty much to the letter as far as the last section goes to try and get linux to recognize my gamepad:
http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html
Even after all the mknod's, it doesn't recognize that my gamepad is plugged into the USB. I tried `dmesg |grep input` and it didn't see it, or any other joysticks for that matter.
I compiled joydev.o into the kernel so I would have to load the module each boot, but I don't think that would cause it.
I really need to get this thing working because Super Tux and PPRacer just don't feel right on a keyboard :P

P.S. I'm running Gentoo with a 2.6.8 kernel, and I've tried a couple different USB ports. Thanks again!

Last edited by ikataii; 01-28-2005 at 02:29 AM.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:47 AM   #2
Mega Man X
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL

Rep: Reputation: 65
When you type "cat /dev/input/js0" or "cat /dev/js0" and press keys at the joypad, do you get any characters?. Also, try "modprobe joydev". Even if you've compiled the module, it might not be running. If you get an "already running" process, then you know it's actually running

You might need to load additional modules sometimes, such as:

usb-uhci
hid
adi
usb-hc

modprobe them, and re-run "cat /dev/input/js0" or "cat /dev/js0" to test it.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2005, 03:33 AM   #3
ikataii
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
modprobe joydev gives a not-found because, when I picked the option for it, I said Y instead of M.
cat /dev/js* and cat /dev/input/js* give Device Not Founds

Same with all the other modules. I know I compiled HID straight into the kernel (not as a module) so it's working, but the rest of those modules seem foreign to me.
I'll run an xconfig of my kernel and look for them.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:18 AM   #4
ikataii
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
UHCI is already in my kernel, as is hc (I think). No idea where adi would be. I tried adding evdev, that didn't help either.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:31 AM   #5
ikataii
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Wow. I just stumbled back here randomly.
I found out the error. I didn't have my ADI module compiled and installed (it was a rather buried option under the Joystick types). Let's see what we get.
Alright... I tested ADI, and that either wasn't it or was only part of it. I've been digging around, and I have uhci-hcd compiled in, but I can't find usb-uhci or usb-hc.
Just pointing me to where those are in a menuconfig or xconfig of a 2.6.12 kernel (which I've upgraded to in the meantime) would be greatly appreciated so I can be certain that it's a deeper issue than that. Until then, I wear the following emoticon with shame.