LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2004, 10:48 PM   #1
CroMagnon

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 33
Post DISCUSSION: Using the screen package

This thread is to discuss the article titled: Using the screen package

Old 01-26-2005, 04:54 AM   #2
bigearsbilly

Distribution: Mint, Armbian, NetBSD, Puppy, Raspbian

Rep: Reputation: 239Reputation: 239Reputation: 239
Nice write up.
Can't wait to try it!

Old 01-27-2005, 05:31 AM   #3
bigearsbilly

Distribution: Mint, Armbian, NetBSD, Puppy, Raspbian

Rep: Reputation: 239Reputation: 239Reputation: 239
What an absolutely brilliant tool.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
paleogryph

Distribution: Fedora 12

Rep: Reputation: 15
Great

I use ssh to my linux boxes constantly, even though I also use freenx occaisionally also.

I feel like a goon because I never knew about screen and was always backgrounding processes...

Screen is a great tool!
Thanks for the write up.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
dsplabs
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Is there a way (using f.e. an entry in .screenrc file, or some other way) to log an entire screen session to file?

Last edited by dsplabs; 12-19-2007 at 11:46 PM.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
theNbomr
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: OpenSuse, Fedora, Redhat, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908
Screen has another potentially indispensable feature that is too seldom documented: multiuser mode. When appropriately configured, you can start up screen sessions that can be attached to by other users. Of course, there are access controls that allow you to configure who can attach and what rights they have.
In my work, this is heavily used to run processes that are intended to run perpetually, and that also have an interactive aspect. Anyone in my work group needs to be able to monitor these processes, and there are often numerous such processes running concurrently. We even have a GUI utility written in Perl/Tk that allows users to easily find, select, and open existing sessions or start new screen sessions.
I can envision other purposes, such as making a terminal session visible to all members of a 'classroom' (where the class could consist of remotely logged-in students).
Your example of 'backgrounding' long-running processes is a good one. Sometimes I will start up such a process, like a kernel build, at work, and then go home for the day. At home, I can check in by logging in with SSH, and re-attach to the screen session to monitor its progress.