LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora > Fedora - Installation
User Name
Password
Fedora - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Fedora.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2004, 06:50 AM   #1
Erwes
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Angry Fedora 2 installation abort with "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount fs ...

Hi

I solved my first problem on my own, a part of my hardware causes it. So I removed the Whole Hardware, except of My:
CPU: 700 AMD-Athlon (Slot-A)
RAM: 512MB (no-name)+256MB (no-name)
Main-board: A1
DVD-Rom (I install from DVD): Pioneer DVD-105SZ
CD-Writer: Plextor Plexwriter 8-2-32 A
Keyboard: Logitech
Mouse: Microsoft(optical/wheel)
hda: Maxtor 40GB
hdb:Maxtor 60GB

OK the facts, I use Linux for about 2 years now, I started with redhat 9 and now I use fedora core 1. hda is my windows-harddrive and on hdb is Linux installed. I tried an update installation to fc 2 but when I told the installation program to run an update installation it aborted and said: "Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount fs on unknown-block (72,3)". I didn't know why, so I saved all personal Data and formatted hdb and erase the partition-table. I tried again to install, all seemed to run well i did costumer installation, install on hdb, remove all partitions, install grub,the ethernet ip. It may probably not be the right order, but i remember to have done all this and after I typed in my root Password the installation aborted with the same failure message.

I can't find a similar problem and answer in the internet.

can some body help me, or tell me where i can get help?

Last edited by Erwes; 06-19-2004 at 07:35 AM.

Old 06-20-2004, 07:03 AM   #2
DriveMeCrazy

Rep: Reputation: 15
Are you using vmware?

Old 06-20-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
Erwes
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 2

Original Poster
No I don't.
I only use windows to play games.

I try to install FC2 on hdb to have two OS
I switch my PC on, boot from CD and then install FC2

Old 07-05-2004, 02:22 AM   #4
oneislandhop
LQ Newbie

Same problem as above

And I do use VMWARE. I am also not a linux guru. am running it to learn.

The install of Fedora 2 Core goes well. The reboot after install terminates with the following:

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 4 of device 000:00:07.1
audit(1088985422.344:0): initialized
(running in test mode).
(running in test mode).
Red hat nash version 3.5.22 starting
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
_

And that is how it ends. attempted the install six different ways, from gui mode to text mode. same thing every time.

I have a currently running rh9 pro edition that has given me no problems

Any ideas??

Old 07-30-2004, 06:31 PM   #5
aspicer
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora/RedHat

Re: Same problem as above

Quote:
Originally posted by oneislandhop
And I do use VMWARE. I am also not a linux guru. am running it to learn.

The install of Fedora 2 Core goes well. The reboot after install terminates with the following:

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 4 of device 000:00:07.1
audit(1088985422.344:0): initialized
(running in test mode).
(running in test mode).
Red hat nash version 3.5.22 starting
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
_

And that is how it ends. attempted the install six different ways, from gui mode to text mode. same thing every time.

I have a currently running rh9 pro edition that has given me no problems

Any ideas??
* I had the same thing happen in Vmware ... I sort of thought that I had caused it because I accidentally closed Vmware right at the end of the install, where it was telling me to remove the install media (CD and such) and reboot. Now I'm beginning to think it was not me that caused it.

There seems to be a lot of this error going around on actual PC hardware as well, and a lot of Internet forum discussions on how to fix it.

This is just a wild guess but I wonder if this is another Fedora 2 bug ... or the same one ... where the disk architecture is written somehow incorrectly to the disk by the 2.6 kernel and Windows XP cannot recoginize it, and therefore it breaks dual-boot to Windows XP.

---
Alan S.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:26 PM   #6
aspicer
LQ Newbie

Re: Re: Same problem as above

Quote:
Originally posted by aspicer
* I had the same thing happen in Vmware ... I sort of thought that I had caused it because I accidentally closed Vmware right at the end of the install, where it was telling me to remove the install media (CD and such) and reboot. Now I'm beginning to think it was not me that caused it.

There seems to be a lot of this error going around on actual PC hardware as well, and a lot of Internet forum discussions on how to fix it.

This is just a wild guess but I wonder if this is another Fedora 2 bug ... or the same one ... where the disk architecture is written somehow incorrectly to the disk by the 2.6 kernel and Windows XP cannot recoginize it, and therefore it breaks dual-boot to Windows XP.

---
Alan S.
* I tried re-installing FC2 with SCSI disk (the default) in Vmware, then I just tried re-installing with IDE disk option. The same thing happens.

Kernel Panic: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Old 08-01-2004, 01:40 AM   #7
aspicer
LQ Newbie

Vmware boot problems with FC2

Upgrade your Vmware from older version. E.G. I had Vmware 4.0.0, upgraded to the latest 4.5.2 and it found my root disk just fine... X still didn't work, but while searching around I had seen a thread on a patch to Vmware Tools for that:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3097...ec33992a2265a1

Do this patch, follow the guys instructions exactly ... reboot and X is up!!!

---
Alan S.