LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 AM   #1
Thetargos

Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu & Mint

Rep: Reputation: 45
Post DISCUSSION: Custom kernel compilaton on RedHat/Fedora Systems

This thread is to discuss the article titled: Custom kernel compilaton on RedHat/Fedora Systems

Old 07-08-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
morrisset
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
may I ask a question:

I meet a problem like you say:
Quote:
For kernels 2.6.x, you will also need to include support for your root partition (/) file system into the kernel and not as a separate module.
If you are using the ext3 file system you will need at the very least ext2fs support compiled directly into the kernel, otherwise you'll prolly get an error regarding VFS not being able to mount the root partition.
Also, if you use other FS than ext2/3, then you will have to replace the grub entry root=LABEL=/ (or something similar) to your actual disk partition (e.g. root=/dev/hda2) in order for the kernel to appropriately boot.
If my problem is the first state, what shall I do then?
then if the second state, how do I know which dev I should use?

sorry if my quetion is boring, but I really don't know what to do

thx any way!

Old 08-28-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
sueno

Distribution: Fedora Core 3. also testing mandrake

Rep: Reputation: 15
A great how to it's very good even a complete newbie like me can follow these instructions.

But I have a question when I'm satisfied with my new Kernel and want to erase the old Kernel from the grub menu and clear up some space on the boot partition because it is quite limited. How do I get rid of the old kernel (or the new one if iḿ not happy with it)