LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2004, 09:40 PM   #1
piggysmile

Rep: Reputation: 30
How to install modem on Redhat Linux9?

I have this Ambient External 56kbps modem. I don't know how to install it. I'm currently using Redhat Linux 9.

When I first boot with my modem on Linux detected it at startup and asked me if I want to configure and I did. Linux continued loading and when I checked the Hardware browser, the modem wasnt there. Is there any Linux-compatible hardware driver for this modem?

Old 05-12-2004, 10:26 PM   #2
piggysmile

Original Poster
ok the real name of my modem id CNet 56 k fax modem with a model name CN5614XE. I know Conexant has a 14kbit/s free driver for this. Anybody knows where I can find it?

Old 05-13-2004, 07:40 AM   #3
piggysmile

Original Poster
i already found the driver but it wasnt compatible with my Linux kernel 2.4.20-8. this modem installation under Linux sucks. wish i could do something about it. Please help

Old 05-13-2004, 07:49 AM   #4
Baldrick65

Distribution: Mint 13 Cinnamon

Rep: Reputation: 31
Try this file. It's the older non-speed-locked version.

edit I should really read these things ... that file is only for Internal Conexant HSF modems. External modems should work straight out of the box.

Baldrick

Last edited by Baldrick65; 05-13-2004 at 08:20 AM.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:20 AM   #5
Francis

Distribution: Slackware 10.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
I have the same modem and am also having a lot of trouble with it. I have a dual boot system at the moment and am a Linux noob. I can't get this stupid thing working in Windows (ME) let alone Linux.

I really hate this modem and am never going to buy another SinglePoint/CNet product again.

Anyways, I was able to get this thing running under Linux (can't remember what distro I installed) but browsing was rediculously slow and parts of pages wouldn't show, sometimes whole pages wouldn't show. It's doing the same thing in Windows aswell. I took it into my local store and had it swaped for a new one but it's doing the same thing.

Manufacturers are such tards, this thing doesn't even come with drivers for ME

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed at the moment, any help with Linux or Windows installation of this POS would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Francis

Old 11-01-2004, 03:26 AM   #6
Dummy-in-Linux

Distribution: Fedora 25 86_64

Rep: Reputation: 32
Hello People,

Correct me if I’m wrong, we are talking about an EXTERNAL modem connected on a Serial RS-232 communication port?

If this is so, why are you trying to install software drivers for this external modem? 99% of all external modems connected to a serial RS-232 communication port on a computer work without any drivers.

Just connect the modem to a serial port COM1 is /dev/ttyS0 and COM2 is /dev/ttyS1 and find the right initialization string (one line of text) for the modem by searching Google (initialization string “Modem Type”)

Replace “Modem Type” with your modem model number and brand name

With kind regards,

Richard

Old 11-01-2004, 03:35 AM   #7
Baldrick65

Distribution: Mint 13 Cinnamon

Rep: Reputation: 31
Aha ... but if it's an external USB modem, then most of those are no better than an internal winmodem because they aren't real modems and require software to do most of the work (as in a winmodem).

If it's one of those, then maybe you should consider getting a real external modem or an internal winmodem that has driver support.

Baldrick

Old 11-01-2004, 10:22 PM   #8
Francis

Yup it's an external, serial modem, I didn't think it should need drivers but it came with a CD of them anyway. I didn't initially use any of them because Windows sorted things out by itself, but when I tried it out it only sort of worked I tried various drivers from the CD, but realised yesterday that despite all the drivers on the CD there wasn't one for this specific model (just some other model) under ME.

Anyways, how do initialisation strings work?

Thanks for the help

Old 11-02-2004, 11:35 PM   #9
brette
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
I have the same problem and have been told to use the stings, unfortunately I am another linux numpty who need to be walk through....would someone PLEASE explaine how they are used.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:44 AM   #10
Francis

I can't find any strings for my modem, been searching all over the place

Old 11-04-2004, 10:34 AM   #11
Dummy-in-Linux

Hello Francis,

Do you know the chipset your modem is using?

With kind regards,

Richard

Old 11-05-2004, 05:03 AM   #12
Francis

Um, does CL-MD5650 sound like a chipset?

Old 11-05-2004, 07:31 AM   #13
Dummy-in-Linux

Hello Francis,

Yes this is a Cirrus Logic chipset (better known as Ambient chipset)

You can try one of the following Init Strings +ms=v34,0 +ms=v90,0 or +ms=v90,0,9600,5600

With kind regards,

Richard

Old 11-05-2004, 05:24 PM   #14
Francis

Sweet, thanks for that, I'll give them a go

Old 12-29-2004, 07:59 PM   #15
dushaw
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
I picked up this same CNET CN5614XE exernal modem for cheap to use with linux. I can report
that I had the same problem as described above. The modem will dial up and connect
o.k., but browsing was impossible (pages would hang or not appear at all). I could ping,
however, and ssh to remote computers with a bit of irratic behavior. This behaviour in
both windoze and linux. I had hoped for answers on the internet, and found only this set of
postings here.

CNET's website had a Windoze driver download for modems with P/N XX-XE-XXXX-XX; the
fourth digit here being an "E" seems to signify some sort of trouble. I have a modem of
this type. CNET's technical support was no help at all ; not surprising....

I poked around with the AT commands - merely guessing that perhaps the modem was being
overly ambitious with how it connects to the internet.

The following AT commands seem to resolve the problem: AT \A0 \N0 %C0

\A0: Selects the maximum MNP block; 0=64-character maximum
\N0: Selects connection; 0=Allows standard buffered connection only (no MNP)
%C0: Disables or enables class 5 MNP operation; 0=Disable class 5 MNP operation

[Added later: On further experimentation the commands: AT \A0 \N3 %C1 +DS44=0 work
a little better. This set of commands restores the compression option and still seems to
solve the problem. The compression seems to speed things up by 10-20%. I suspect
that the best options may be a function of one's dial-up internet provider.]

So the problem seems to have something to do with the modem's MNP support
(whatever that is...) I fussed around with a few other options but none seem to do
better or worse than these.

Measured by ftp, I get about 44 Kbps on a connection from New Zealand to the U.S. and
browsing and ssh now work o.k. The modem reports that it connects at 52Kbps, but that
doesn't mean much. So perhaps not the best of modems (ah! for a nice Zoom modem...),
but it seems to work o.k. with this work around.

I registered here just to make this post...I believe in open source!

B.D.

Last edited by dushaw; 12-30-2004 at 05:26 PM.