LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2004, 05:07 AM   #1
melinda_sayang

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 31
Can't play audio cd

With Debian, RH 9, FC 1, I can play audio cd easily. Now with Slackware, with xmms, kscd, audio player, alsa player, I cann't play audio cd. They can not detect my audio cd. The only way I can play audio cd is to use xcdroast. I read the track then I play it. I use creative sound card blaster. Any idea?

Old 03-19-2004, 05:21 AM   #2
wallison

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 18
You need to add your user account to the groups sys and disk. Or chmod the devices.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
sgtbob

Distribution: Windows 7, iMAC Lion 8.5, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question

wallison - can you be more specific on this procedure? I am so new that this suggestion is beyond me, but would appreciate a step-by-step on how to do this. Sounds as though it might solve a problem I am having - no audio CD's play

Old 03-19-2004, 09:18 AM   #4
Frank_Drebin

Rep: Reputation: 30
Also may want to go in to XMMS and click on properties or options (can't remember which) . There is a list of plugins and one of them is for CD reading. 2nd one on mine. click on it, and hit configure. When it opens, click on read digital signal. It defaults to analog and if you don't have the 4 pin connector it won't read anything.

Good Luck.....

Frank

Old 03-19-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
flyfishin

Distribution: CentOS, RHEL, SuSE, Fedora

What happens when you run alsaconf as root? Creative cards are pretty common and should be recognized.

Old 03-19-2004, 09:25 AM   #6
Frank_Drebin

Flyfishin.. it looks like he isn't reading the CD's or at least the analog output (ie no 4pin plug to sound card). If other aps work with the sound card I don't believe its an ALSA issue. Your thoughts?

Could be that he needs to turn on the digital read (if xmms is moving and appears to be playing but no sound).

Old 03-19-2004, 09:35 AM   #7
flyfishin

Distribution: CentOS, RHEL, SuSE, Fedora

He doesn't mention any other apps. In fact we don't know if any sounds play. He did mention other distros. I just figured start with the basics, see if alsa picks it up and sound levels are set correctly with alsamixer or aumix, and then go from there. A really simple test would be to type play /usr/share/sounds/warning.wav and see if any sound comes through the speakers.

Old 03-19-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
failure_man

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank_Drebin
Flyfishin.. it looks like he isn't reading the CD's or at least the analog output (ie no 4pin plug to sound card). If other aps work with the sound card I don't believe its an ALSA issue. Your thoughts?

Could be that he needs to turn on the digital read (if xmms is moving and appears to be playing but no sound).
That reminds me of a problem that's been bugging me slightly for the past year: how DO you get an audio CD to play in digital mode under Linux? My current primary box doesn't have that analog crossover cable deal going so I don't get any sound. (The workaround is that I end up ripping my CDs anyway so I just listen to the MP3s but it still irritates me.)

Old 03-19-2004, 07:39 PM   #9
melinda_sayang

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishin
What happens when you run alsaconf as root? Creative cards are pretty common and should be recognized.
My sound is working properly. I can play mp3 and ogg files easily. Yes, I use alsa driver for my sound stuff with kernel 2.6.3. I have run alsaconf as root. Yes, with alsaconf I can detect my sound card easily.

But hey, when I put audio cd in my computer box, I run cd player program in Gnome desktop, it seems like I don't put anything in my computer box. Grip also can not detect my cd player. So I can not rip cd with grip too.

So again, the only thing I could do with audio cd is to use xcdroast. I forgot to mention something. Xcdroast can not play audio cd too. What I can do with audio cd with xcdroast it to READ ( not play ) audio cd tracks so that in my tmp directory I got trackblabla.wav. From that I could play the music.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:10 PM   #10
ringwraith

Distribution: Slackware 15.0

Rep: Reputation: 65
Not using 2.6.x kernel yet but I know it has changed the need for scsi emulation. Are you still passing ide=scsi in your lilo entry? How is the cd referenced in your fstab?

Old 03-19-2004, 10:25 PM   #11
wallison

Rep: Reputation: 18
Did you try to add your user account to the disk group?

Old 03-20-2004, 01:07 AM   #12
melinda_sayang

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by wallison
Did you try to add your user account to the disk group?
That's not the solution because I already added as disk group user. But your first post is the right solution because after I added my self as sys group user, I can read audio cd. Then after I increase the volume from audio cd, I can totally play audio cd.

Thank you.

I have face similar problem in Debian but in Debian as normal user in default mode I cann't access sound stuff so I have to added my self as blablabla group user so I can access sound stuff but this is the first time I know that to use audio cd you have to be blabla group user too.

Enjoy.

Old 03-20-2004, 04:23 AM   #13
Jernej
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
The solution for ripping cd is easy. Put cd in cdrom. Close it. Hit Home icon. On the left side you will see Audio cd Browser. Only one thing for mp3 you will need lame.(http://mitiok.cjb.net/)
I was talking about KDE 3.2.1 environment here.

Last edited by Jernej; 03-20-2004 at 04:29 AM.