LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
dalek

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 79
Post DISCUSSION: Mandrake 9.X Install how to

This thread is to discuss the article titled: Mandrake 9.X Install how to

Old 12-11-2003, 04:02 AM   #2
CiTE
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Post Think this is in the right place

As a beginner to the world of Linux, i last night installed Mandrake 9.1 to a system made of spare parts. As i believed this edition to be a one disk install i happily worked away until the install was complete. I chose to have no passwords set.
As lame as i possibly sound(!) now when this system boots i get to the login screen and am confronted with the need for a name and password which i dont believe to have set.
First time i was shown this screen i merely put in my name and was then shown a blank white box with 'OK' and 'BACK' as my only options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

CiTE

Old 01-02-2004, 12:07 AM   #3
dalek

Original Poster

Post the problem here.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...p?s=&forumid=8

You can get help there. You may have to login as root, if that helps.

See you in the newbie forum.

Later

Old 12-16-2004, 11:54 PM   #4
m.veeravagu
LQ Newbie

Install Linux

If I have windows on C:, How do I install using an ISO burn CD on partition D:

Thank you

Old 12-17-2004, 12:22 AM   #5
dalek

Original Poster

The best way is to use the custom partition option. It may be best to let the installer make the partitions. Just click on the d: partition, delete it, then select it again and hit the auto button at the bottom. It should create the swap, the / and maybe a /home directory for you. They have a formula on how it does that but I have no clue what it is. I have never had it do the same way twice on different machines.

It has been quite a while since I used Mandrake. I switched to Gentoo a while back. If you are new, you may want to wait a bit before jumping into Gentoo. The install is not the easiest.

I hope that helps. If not you may wnat to start a thread in the newbie section. There are always more ways than one to do something.

Later

Old 03-10-2005, 08:22 AM   #6
wallyj
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 9.2

Trouble with Toshiba display during initial install

Hey all, I have searched and searched online here but haven't found much usefull info. Here is my problem. I have been toying with Mandrake for a year or two, still considered a newbie to be sure, but I decided to put my copy of Mandrake 9.2 on my Toshiba Satellite pro 4600. I have the same thing running on my desktop without problem, dual boot.

My problem is that when I insert the disk, it re-boots to start the install process. That's fine. But the second page of the re-booted process changes the display to some weird resolution that my poor laptop couldn't display properly. I can barely make out the letters. I tried guessing my way through until I hit the display settings (i've installed on my desktop a few times) but decided I shouldn't mess with my partition without being able to read the screen properly.

I'm now officially fustrated and would like to continue, but can't find a way to force a more normal screen display. I'm not quite sure what it's trying, because the initial install screen works fine, but when it comes to configure anything, it goes low res..

Any help would be appreceated!

Steve

Old 03-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
dalek

Original Poster

You may want to start a new thread here.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...php?forumid=30

Also note, you can add boot options for the video that MAY correct the problem. It has been a long time since I messed with Mandrake and have never had a laptop so I am not much use on this one. May also want to read this page and/or browse a bit there.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/92errata.php3

Hope that helps. Wish I knew more to tell you.

Later

Last edited by dalek; 03-10-2005 at 09:05 PM.