LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old Today, 06:24 PM   #136
Randicus Draco Albus

Distribution: OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 348Reputation: 348Reputation: 348Reputation: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmistler View Post
Malware to me is advertisements which perpetuate and draw down my system where I end up having to reinstall my OS just to get it clean.
That is a minor form of malware. There are much more dangerous kinds. If malware was only about advertisements, people would not be so concerned about it.

Quote:
Spyware ... Yeah ... I can see that happening in a browser, but I don't see it anywhere else.
Spyware can enter a system through a browser, but why do you think it cannot be a feature of a system? The name should be a clue; spyware. Spying is watching in secret. If spying is not hidden, it is not very effctive.
Quote:
Give something more substantive to those claims. Because I'm just not seeing that.
There is lots of information out there. Read and enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleball
You,re not ignorant rtmistler for not knowing this dirty little secret of *untu flavours
Actually he is. You are confusing ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is not knowing about something. Stupidity is not being smart enough to understand it. The two are usually not related.

Old Today, 07:25 PM   #137
k3lt01

Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.

Rep: Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleball View Post
You,re not ignorant rtmistler for not knowing this dirty little secret of *untu flavours, believe me maybe 95% of *untu users don,t even know this sort of things exists in their OS, it,s not because ignorance, it,s because usually we,re not searching around what the OS is doing.
From my knowledge, which I admit may not be complete with regards to this because I don't use any *buntu anymore, the "spyware is only part of Unity. If you have Unity you have Dash (which is the spyware), if you have other flavours without Unity (and therefore Dash) you don't have spyware. Please feel free to correct me and show me proof that I am wrong though.

Old Today, 07:35 PM   #138
suicidaleggroll

Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045
You mean dash the shell? That's the default shell in Debian and all of its derivatives AFAIK, regardless of the chosen DE, and I don't believe it has anything at all to do with the selling of personal information to 3rd parties without the user's knowledge or consent.

Old Today, 08:23 PM   #139
k3lt01

Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.

Rep: Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
You mean dash the shell?
No I mean Dash the search function that is part of Unity and not part of any other DE. It is accessed through the Ubuntu icon on the top of the side panel in Unity.

Old Today, 08:27 PM   #140
suicidaleggroll

Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045Reputation: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
No I mean Dash the search function that is part of Unity
Well that's not confusing at all. Go Ubuntu!

In that case, yes I believe you're right. As far as I understand it, the selling of personal information is limited to the usage of the search function built into the Unity desktop.