LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Other *NIX
User Name
Password
Other *NIX This forum is for the discussion of any UNIX platform that does not have its own forum. Examples would include HP-UX, IRIX, Darwin, Tru64 and OS X.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
Randux

Distribution: Slackware & Slamd64. What else is there?

Rep: Reputation: 55

Dude, now I understand your posts. I don't know what it was like back in the nineties???

I coded on PDP8s and System 360s.

Rock and Roll High School

You're way ahead of your time...you're gonna make one hell of an old fogie some day. Heck, you're one now

Last edited by Randux; 01-27-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
trashbird1240

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu (yes, both)

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randux View Post
You're way ahead of your time...you're gonna make one hell of an old fogie some day. Heck, you're one now
This isn't the first subject that's prompted people to say that about me. I prefer listening to music on vinyl.

This also isn't the first time I've found someone older than me who prefers "newer" technology.

If you've done the programming you mentioned, then you're obviously older than me. However, you should understand that often I get advice from people on these forums who turn out to be a lot younger than me. Somewhere along the way I usually find out that I understand the problem differently from them because I have more experience on Unix than they do. It's a weird experience, because I usually assume the person informing me is someone like you (i.e., someone with Real Computer experience). Then I find out that they've never seen the "write" command, and don't know that you could chat before IM'ing came along. Think of how that is now that you've gotten some attitude from someone younger

Joel

Old 01-28-2009, 02:01 AM   #18
Randux

Distribution: Slackware & Slamd64. What else is there?

Rep: Reputation: 55
Don't think I prefer newer technology. The old stuff was usually but not always better. In my career I noticed a parabola and I think the peak was hit and we are now on the downside of the curve. But nearly all of my experience has been on the Big Iron so I am probably out of touch with the details of the issues you raised vis a vis Unix.

I think we probably have a lot in common and I wouldn't mind having you as a drinking buddy Good to see that the young guns still keep their eyes open and don't accept the status quo without thinking about it!

Last edited by Randux; 01-28-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #19
dchmelik

Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD, Illumos, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD, Plan9, Inferno, OpenBSD, FreeDOS, HURD

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
I agree with trashbird1240. I only used a Windows version of talk in the 90s, but I want to use (y)talk on a LAN. I had some problems, like some others on the following thread, but I posted some solutions on: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...daemon-909850/

Last edited by dchmelik; 01-31-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: mistake