LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
lce411

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
LDAP database access problems

The "LDAP guy" in our office has moved on and I was asked to retrieve some information from LDAP to pass onto a forward site. From command line (RHEL 5.9), I tried running: /usr/sbin/slapcat -l filename_to_create. These are the results I got:
Code:
bdb(dc=chscde-ei,dc=ustranscom,dc=mil): unrecognized name-value pair: dn:
bdb_db_open: Database cannot be opened, err 22. Restore from backup!
bdb(dc=chscde-ei,dc=ustranscom,dc=mil): DB_ENV->lock_id_free interface requires an environment configured for the locking subsystem
backend_startup_one: bi_db_open failed! (22)
slap_startup failed
LDAP is working, otherwise I would not have been able to putty into the server, but something is wrong with LDAP or the BDB that is running. Does anyone have any experience with either LDAP or BDB? Is it possible that, through patching, the versions of LDAP and BDB are not compatible?

Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
tidal
LQ Newbie

If the server is still working, are you able to query the server using ldapsearch?

Example
Code:
ldapsearch -H "ldap://localhost:389" -D "cn=tidal,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com"  -W -x -b "dc=example,dc=com" "(&(objectClass=person)(uid=tidal))"
This example would search within your user entries to retrieve the information of a person entry with the UID of 'tidal'.

The problem with this is that you will likely need to bind to the server by providing your DN (distinguished name). An anonymous bind may be worth a try, though (to do this, you would drop the -D and -W switches). The base DN to search in will probably be much easier to intuit. How much documentation did the previous person leave behind? Alternately, is there an interface in place like LDAP Account Manager that would let you get an idea of the directory structure?

Do you know which variety of LDAP server you are running?

Last edited by tidal; 07-27-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
lce411

Original Poster
tidal

Thanks for the reply. I actually have a ticket open with Red Hat for this issue. I will see what the Red Hat technician tells me and report it back here so this can be marked as resolved.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
tidal
LQ Newbie

Will do.

I'm still learning about the mechanics of maintaining my own OpenLDAP server myself, so I look forward to seeing what the cause of this problem is.