LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Aeterna
LQ Newbie

Distribution: HardenedBSD, Slackware-current

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
VMware error during startup

Hello,
I am running windows 7 in virtualbox with lightroom and DxO Optics.
I wanted to compare virtualbox and VMware to see which would suit better for specific task.

I installed trial version of VMware Workstation 12.5.7 on Slackware-current (kernel 4.12.5)

during VMware startup I am getting the error:
Virtual machine communication interface [FAILED]

Is there something I could do to fix the problem?

Thank you

Last edited by Aeterna; 08-14-2017 at 07:52 AM. Reason: error in the title

Old 08-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
DVOM

Rep: Reputation: 34
So, is the problem that VMware itself won't start or that your Win7 VM won't start?

Old 08-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455
vmware-config-tools.pl seems to be a common solution.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #4
Aeterna
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
vmware-config-tools.pl seems to be a common solution.
Thank you very much.
After searching google I have found that this is quite often a suggestion that solves different issues with VMware. I am going to try this and will report if this solves my problem.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #5
Aeterna
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
o.k. so it seems like failed project for me:
1) vmci module will not compile under 4.12.6 (this is related to "Virtual machine communication interface" error)
1a) it will compile under 4.9.34 though
1b) no solution/patches available for vmci compilation under newer kernel
2) while vmware starts without errors under kernel 4.9.34 but gui will not start

In conclusion: too much trouble to solve just for testing which is better for picture editing software. It seems that virtualbox is ahead of vmware in terms of compatibility even though some of the more advanced options available in vmware are missing from virtualbox.

by the way vmware uninstallation script does nothing under Slackware-current

Last edited by Aeterna; 08-16-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: further clarification

Old 08-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455Reputation: 2455
Vmware is a good company and has many good products. They don't specialize in providing support for Slackware that is true. They are a company and specialize in support for products like RedHat. Virtualbox may have more support for general linux users. (only my guess)

Old 08-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
DVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeterna View Post
o.k. so it seems like failed project for me:
1) vmci module will not compile under 4.12.6 (this is related to "Virtual machine communication interface" error)
1a) it will compile under 4.9.34 though
1b) no solution/patches available for vmci compilation under newer kernel
2) while vmware starts without errors under kernel 4.9.34 but gui will not start
I've tried a few times to get virtualbox kernel modules to compile in kernel 4.12.x, I've never been successful. So I usually go with kernel 4.9.x, 4.10.x or 4.11.x

Old 08-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
Aeterna
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVOM View Post
I've tried a few times to get virtualbox kernel modules to compile in kernel 4.12.x, I've never been successful. So I usually go with kernel 4.9.x, 4.10.x or 4.11.x
Noticed the same, so just downloaded VirtualBox-5.1.26 and it installed without a hitch. Works well to.
Moreover virtualbox script recognizes that OS boots with a new kernel and automatically installs modules for it.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
Aeterna
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
Vmware is a good company and has many good products. They don't specialize in providing support for Slackware that is true. They are a company and specialize in support for products like RedHat. Virtualbox may have more support for general linux users. (only my guess)
This is my understanding too, that VMware is geared towards enterprise customers. I was just hoping for a little luck.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #10
DVOM

Quote:
This is my understanding too, that VMware is geared towards enterprise customers. I was just hoping for a little luck.
You never told us just what you were initially trying to start with vmware. Were you trying to start a vm in vmware that had been initially installed in virtualbox? Because AFAIK that's not going to happen. If you want it to run in vmware, you need to install it in vmware. AFAIK again.

However, since WinVista, a VM installed in VMware will run in virtualbox.

Also, you might/probably only need VMware Player instead of Workstation. It's free.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #11
Aeterna
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
You never told us just what you were initially trying to start with vmware. Were you trying to start a vm in vmware that had been initially installed in virtualbox? Because AFAIK that's not going to happen. If you want it to run in vmware, you need to install it in vmware. AFAIK again.

However, since WinVista, a VM installed in VMware will run in virtualbox.

Also, you might/probably only need VMware Player instead of Workstation. It's free.
I thought that stating
Quote:
I wanted to compare virtualbox and VMware to see which would suit better for specific task.
is clear enough.
I wanted to compare two VMs not to run one inside the other (does not make any sense either).

I don't know why would you think that I am trying to install one VM inside another?

I tried both VMware Workstation and VMware Player. Both need vmci module so error is the same. Besides only VMware workstation supports DirectX 10.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
DVOM

Quote:
I don't know why would you think that I am trying to install one VM inside another?
That's not what I said at all. "Installing" a VM and "starting" a VM are 2 different things.

I've got approx 10 or 12 VMs that were installed in VMware, I've been running them all in virtualbox for 6-8 years. It makes perfect sense. And they run as well as they did in VMware.

Last edited by DVOM; 08-17-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
Aeterna
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
That's not what I said at all. "Installing" a VM and "starting" a VM are 2 different things.

I've got approx 10 or 12 VMs that were installed in VMware, I've been running them all in virtualbox for 6-8 years. It makes perfect sense. And they run as well as they did in VMware.
I know that this is not what I wanted to do. I don't understand why this is so confusing:
I want to compare performance of specific programs in VMware (DirectX10 support) with Virtualbox (no DirectX10 suport). This is so simple.
Read my first post please.

At this point I can't run VMware on Slackware-current so I feel that this thread is closed.

Thank you.